Printed from http://www.electronista.com

Blu-ray extending lead without promos?

updated 02:15 pm EST, Fri January 25, 2008

Blu-ray Extending Lead

The Blu-ray disc format is continuing to show clear gains over HD DVD in the second week after the potentially decisive Warner conversion to Blu-ray, according to the latest issue of Home Media Magazine. The industry publication notes that Blu-ray represented about 83 percent of movie sales were for Blu-ray versions of movies, leaving the remaining 17 percent to HD DVD. All of Nielsen VideoScan's top ten sellers for the week of the 13th were Blu-ray editions while all of the top all-time sellers are either exclusive to the format or available both in Blu-ray and HD DVD, the publication adds.

The results also come in the aftermath of promotional campaigns that offer two movies for the cost of one, reducing the likelihood that customers had been buying Blu-ray at unfairly inflated rates due to incentives. Recent news that Blu-ray accounted for 93 percent of HD hardware sales supports the claim but is believed to have been partly affected by campaigns that gave away free Blu-ray players with TVs from format backer Sony and other manufacturers.

Such news suggests a potentially longer-term impact on HD DVD from Warner's abandonment of HD DVD, which leaves less than 30 percent of movies available in the format and is already understood to be having an effect on the decisions of retailers and computer makers to support the standard, which is chiefly promoted by Toshiba as well as movie studios Paramount and Universal.



By Electronista Staff
Post tools:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

toggle

Most Popular

Sponsor

Recent Reviews

Sound Blaster Roar Bluetooth speaker

There could very well be a new king of the hill for Bluetooth speakers, with Sound Blaster's recent entry into the marketplace. Bringi ...

Kenu Airframe Plus

Simple, stylish and effective, the Kenu Airframe + portable car mount is the latest addition to Kenu's lineup. Released earlier this y ...

Plantronics Rig Surround 7.1 headset

Trying to capture the true soundscape of video games can be a daunting task. Looking to surround-sound home theater options, users hav ...

Sponsor

toggle

Most Commented

 
toggle

Popular News