Printed from http://www.electronista.com

Android Market now open with more than 50 apps

updated 04:05 pm EDT, Wed October 22, 2008

Android Market goes live

To coincide with today's launch of the long-anticipated T-Mobile G1 that is billed as the biggest competitor to Apple's iPhone yet, the online application store for the handset that is the Android Market went live on Wednesday as well. Users can now download any of the more than 50 existing applications for their Android OS phones and can rate them after use as well as leave comments. Between user feedback and anonymous usage statistics, the applications will be ranked in the Android Market.

Developers have to wait until Monday, October 27th to register and upload their applications, along with a $25 application fee. The developers' applications can then be made available to users. Early next year, developers will be able to charge for their applications, receiving 70 percent of the revenue from each sale. The remaining 30 percent does not go to Google, Android's maker. Instead, it goes to carriers and billing settlement fees. The available applications include multimedia, location-based tools, barcode scanners, travel guides and games.

In comparison, the launch of the App Store for Apple's iPhone 3G had more than 1,000 applications, with developers getting the same 70 percent cut of proceeds from each sold application.



By Electronista Staff
toggle

Comments

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

Follow us on Facebook

toggle

Most Popular

Advertisement

Recent Reviews

Prong PWR Case

Ultimately there's one thing we all want from smartphone accessories; we want options. When it comes to keeping our iPhone charged, we ...

iHome iBT74 Color Changing Bluetooth Speaker

There's no reason why your tech can't look good while doing what it was designed to do. That's the reason that sports cars look good a ...

Logitech Gaming Daedalus Prime Mouse

Logitech Gaming continues to expand upon its peripherals line, with each one looking to fit neatly into a breadth of gaming needs. Bui ...

Advertisement

toggle

Most Commented