updated 09:15 pm EDT, Thu September 9, 2010
Google Voice dev can resubmit for iPhone
Google Voice may see an end to its ban from the iPhone in the wake of Apple loosening and clarifying App Store rules. GV Mobile developer Sean Kovacs today said he had been told by Apple that he could resubmit his Google Voice app and was likely to have it accepted. The company had previously been silent since a batch of rejections last year.
Apple had claimed at the time that Google Voice apps, including Google's own, duplicated features already on the iPhone but were "reducing functionality." The controversy led the FCC into an investigation that ultimately did nothing to change Apple's position. Google found a workaround through an HTML5-native page, but it has been relatively crippled since it can't run in the background in any form or work with the native contact list.
Apple hasn't commented on the statements and whether they reflect its official position, but it may be keen to avoid federal investigations or simply to court developers it's concerned might jump to Android. iOS 4 also makes Google Voice more feasible, since it could maintain a limited background presence. Google also hasn't said if it plans to resubmit its own app. [via TechCrunch]