updated 11:20 am EDT, Thu April 7, 2011
Sony says NGP launch plans unaffected after all
Sony this week said its NGP portable gaming console will not be affected by the recent earthquake in Japan, contradicting its earlier statement that said the launch would be limited. According to the Nikkei, the console will be released starting late this year in stages.
"So far we see no impact from the quake on our launch plan," said Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka.
Earlier this week, Sony said the device may only be released in one of the originally planned three regions in time for the holidays. This was apparently the plan all along, as Sony never meant Asia, Europe and the US would get the device at the same time. It launched the PSP in Japan only in 2004 and waited until 2005 to handle the US and other countries.