updated 05:50 am EDT, Thu June 2, 2011
Qualcomm CEO axes first Mirasol device launch
Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs has told a media briefing in San Diego that he has already axed the first planned Mirasol device before it launched. The device, which was to be an e-reader, did not satisfy him that it was ready. Instead of a first quarter launch as had previously been planned, Qualcomm is instead focusing on launching a second-generation iteration of the technology.
"We were getting ready to launch a low volume e-reader product, but I didn't like the whole system,” Jacobs said. “I didn't want to launch our first product and have it be something that we didn't really like so we basically decided to not launch it, and instead just focus on the next version of it."
While not detailing the nature of the second-generation device, Jacobs hinted that it could be a more full-featured tablet. The original aim of entering the e-reader space was to compete with E-ink displays, which Qualcomm believes its Mirasol displays with their color capabilities could successfully challenge in the e-reader space. However, Jacobs believes that Mirasol can successfully challenge OLED displays that feature on tablets and smartphones.
"We have a really interesting roadmap - we're starting out on e-readers because we figured having e-Ink as a competing technology was a good way to get started," the CEO added. "But if you think about the power consumption of the screens that are out now, they're very bright OLED screens that use up a lot of the power of the battery. We don't today have as vibrant color as an OLED display - but we have a roadmap that gets us to a much brighter color."
Qualcomm has significant plans for its MEM display technology. During his talk, he mentioned that Qualcomm plans on making a $1 billion investment in the Taiwanese factory where the Mirasol technology is being developed. [via Pocket-lint]