Printed from

Nielsen: Android owners focused on just 10 apps

updated 10:30 am EDT, Thu August 18, 2011

Nielsen shows narrow app attention on Android

Despite having a large app store, much of Android's usage time is spent with just 10 apps, Nielsen discovered Thursday. About 43 percent of Android app use is focused on the top 10. The top 50 apps account for 61 percent of time, leaving nearly all of the 250,000-plus Android Market apps to contend for the remaining 39 percent.

Google's preference for the web also didn't matter as much. Apps account for about 67 percent of the roughly 56 minutes Android users spend with data on their phones, with the web consuming the rest.

Researchers had no immediate explanation for the narrow scope of Android use. Most criticism of the platform's app support, however, has focused on poor app discovery. Until recently, Google's ranking system was structured such that apps only slowly rotated out of the charts, leaving titles in similar positions for months at a time. Developers have also mentioned a low quality threshhold where many Android apps are sub-par. The Market redesign fixes some of this by highlighting apps independently of their status and counting the top recent and trending apps.

iOS has its share of apps with near-permanent fixtures in top demand, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Angry Birds. Even so, app usage is still believed to have a wider spread than just the top 10 to 50 titles. The App Store's chart system has faster rotation and is joined by a layout that focuses much more on finding new titles. Apple's stronger emphasis on games also makes it likely that users have more than 10 apps they use frequently.

By Electronista Staff


  1. BigMac2

    Forum Regular

    Joined: Dec 2000


    No explanation?

    It's pretty easy to figure out why Android users use less apps. Vast majority of Android users got their phone by sales clerk recommendation which is most of the time free deal on older phone they want to dump to make place for newer models that is keep coming every weeks. So those customer doesnt care about apps and since when you first buy an Android phone you have no business relation with apps distributor like Google and Amazon, many don't want to go thru opening an account for buying apps. Beside, for many Android-Google-Open Source lovers point of view, everything should be free and don't want to invest for apps that can be found for free elsewhere

  1. facebook_Judy

    Via Facebook

    Joined: Sep 2011

    0 === Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,

    welcome to: === === The website wholesale for

    many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the

    products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship

    within short time. free shipping competitive price any size available accept the paypal SOCCER JERSEY 16USD jordan shoes $32 nike

    $32 Christan Audigier bikini $23 Ed Hardy Bikini $23 Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15 ed hardy short_tank_woman $16 Sandal $32

    christian louboutin $80 Sunglass $15 COACH_Necklace $27 handbag $33 AF tank woman $17 puma slipper woman $30 === ===
    Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35
    Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33
    UGG 5816-5825 $49
    jordan air max oakland raiders $30--39;
    Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $18;
    Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g gucci chanel) $30
    T-shirts (Polo ,edhardy,lacoste) $15
    Jean(True Religion,edhardy,coogi) $30
    Sunglasses (Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $14
    EDhardy gucci BAPE cap $14
    jerseeys(NFL NBA NHL MLB )$22
    wallets (LV D&G CHANEL GUCCI COACH)$14
    belts (gucci lv boss ck fendi D&G)$14
    watch (Armani Breguet Breitling casio)$83
    Over-Ear Headphones $111
    In-Ear Speakers$44,
    Discount UGG 5816-5825 ( )
    Discount Ed hardy tshirt (
    Discount Ed hardy jean (
    Discount Ed hardy shoes (
    Discount Ed hardy handbag (
    Discount Ed hardy other porduct (
    Discount Nike air jordans (
    Discount Nike Air Max 90 Sneakers (
    Discount Nike Air Max 91 Supplier (

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.


Network Headlines


Most Popular


Recent Reviews

Seagate Wireless

It seems like no matter how much internal storage is included today's mobile devices, we, as users, will always find a way to fill the ...

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (Android, 10.1-inch)

Lenovo is building a bigger name for itself year after year, including its devices expanding beyond desktop computers. The company's l ...

Brother HL-L8250CDN Color Laser Printer

When it comes to selecting a printer, the process is not exactly something most people put a lot of thought into. Printers are often t ...



Most Commented


Popular News