Printed from http://www.electronista.com

MS: Over 2M iOS Hotmail users, another 100K per day

updated 01:00 am EDT, Thu November 3, 2011

Easier setup came with update to iOS 5

Getting Microsoft's Hotmail service to work with Mail -- the default program for e-mail on the Mac -- and later with iOS devices -- has long been a popular subject in help forums and FAQs on the web. But now that it is one of several default choices on iOS 5, combined with incredibly strong sales of the current-model iPhones, Hotmail users are connecting their accounts to their iOS devices in large numbers, reports the Inside Windows Live blog.

Another factor undoubtedly playing a role in the increasing adoption of Hotmail among iOS users is the iPhone and iPad's rapid acceptance into enterprise, where employee Hotmail accounts are very common. The company estimates that the number of iOS-connected Hotmail accounts is growing by nearly 100,000 every day, and last year's support for Exchange Active Sync would have made it much easier for Hotmail syncing.

Add to that the rapid adoption of iOS 5, which included even easier setup of Hotmail on IOS devices. MS reports that 64 percent of Hotmail-using iOS owners are using an iPhone 4 or 4S (with the latter jumping to 24 percent just three weeks after its debut), with about four percent working with a Verizon iPhone 4 and 12 percent using an iPhone 3GS, for a combined total of 80 percent iPhone users. The iPad and iPod Touch markets make up the remaining 20 percent.

Microsoft has also recently updated its official Android client, but did not release usage figures for the platform. Hotmail clients are also available for Nokia and Blackberry as well Windows Phone. [via Inside Windows Live]







By Electronista Staff
Post tools:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

  1. Gooba

    Fresh-Faced Recruit

    Joined: Oct 2011

    +1

    hmmm

    100,000 per day, maybe they're spam accounts?

  1. Marook

    Forum Regular

    Joined: May 1999

    -2

    100k stupid users...?

    And Hotmail STILL ask you to pay to use IMAP!
    So, we have 100K stupid POP3 users signing up or login in every day!

  1. testudo

    Forum Regular

    Joined: Aug 2001

    0

    Re: hmmm

    100,000 per day, maybe they're spam accounts?

    Do people even bother to read anymore?

    The article is talking about the number of hotmail users connecting via iOS devices. It isn't new accounts being signed up that they're crediting to iOS. It's just "Hey, you mean I can use my hotmail account on my iPhone? Cool!"

    And who in the world would try to spam from their iPhone?

  1. testudo

    Forum Regular

    Joined: Aug 2001

    0

    Re: 100k stupid users...?

    And Hotmail STILL ask you to pay to use IMAP!

    Yeah, because we know MobileMe gave away IMAP for free!

    So, we have 100K stupid POP3 users signing up or login in every day!

    As opposed to all the other users of other email accounts who connect via POP?

    Oh, and I've tried IMAP with Yahoo. It wasn't pretty, so others with free email might allow it, doesn't mean it works.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

toggle

Most Popular

Sponsor

Recent Reviews

Cat B100

Cat is primarily known for its heavy-duty machinery used in the construction industry and farming, among other areas. What may not be ...

Linksys EA6900 AC Router

As 802.11ac networking begins to makes its way into more and more devices, you may find yourself considering an upgrade for your home ...

D-Link DIR-510L 802.11AC travel router

Having Internet access in hotels and other similar locations used to be a miasma of connectivity issues. If Wi-Fi was available, it wa ...

Sponsor

toggle

Most Commented

 
toggle

Popular News