updated 07:55 pm EST, Thu December 1, 2011
Smartphone explodes in pocket
Samsung's Galaxy S II Skyrocket saw unintentional similarity to the iPhone through. Last week, an iPhone burst into flames, and today, a poster on XDA-developers reports that his Skyrocket has encountered a similar failure. The device was sitting in its owner's pocket when he felt a hot, painful sensation, making him remove the now-smoking device.
Last week, a passenger on an Australian airliner had a similar experience with his iPhone. After the plane had landed the passenger noticed smoke emerging from his pants pocket and his phone back glowing from the internal heat.
The Apple incident was attributed to a seldom but well-known occurring problem with lithium-ion batteries, which can overheat and occasionally catch fire. Samsung's failure may be related and shows that the device isn't any more resistant to the issue. The failures normally require a significant impact, but both incidents appear to have been caused just through normal use, though both phones had been exposed to high altitudes before the batteries overheated.