updated 09:06 am EDT, Thu June 21, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S III spontaneously combusts
A Samsung Galaxy S III has exploded according to its Irish owner. According to the @dillo2k10, he was driving with the S III in his car mount when ‘a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone.’ Although the screen continued to work after the meltdown, reception was lost. The hapless owner returned it to the Car Warehouse where it was sent away for further investigation by Samsung.
Following the appearance of the story, and its subsequent media coverage, Samsung quickly responded by issuing a statement on the event.
‘There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung Galaxy S III that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device,’ reads the statement. ‘Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question,’ the company added.
‘Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously.’
While this is the first report of a Galaxy S III meeting an untimely demise, it has come at an inopportune moment for the company, with its North American launch now in full swing. Electronista will keep readers posted on any new developments on the story.