Printed from http://www.electronista.com

Apple adds new combined 'Fusion Drive' to iMac, Mac mini

updated 02:18 pm EDT, Tue October 23, 2012

Fusion drive combines SSD with hard disk using software

Apple has announced it is releasing a new drive system for its computers, designed to offer both speed and high capacities. The Fusion Drive uses both solid state storage and a larger capacity hard drive in tandem, offering the high-speed file access of an SSD combined with the cheaper and bigger capacity of traditional storage drives.

Phil Schiller called the system "fused together with software", where despite being two different storage disciplines, they are combined into one physical drive. While the SSD stores files that need to be quickly accessed, such as the operating system and applications, the spinning drive stores documents, music, videos and other files, namely items not requested as often or are not as urgently required as others.

Both the newly announced Mac mini and Mac will gain the Fusion Drive system, with options for hard disks between 1TB and 3TB in size combined with a 128GB SSD.

SSDs have been used in a similar capacity to Fusion Drive in the past. While not physically the same drive, SSD caching systems perform a similar function, by acting like a high-speed buffer between the computer system and the main storage The SSD cache automatically stores repeatedly-requested files, and provides them to the system instead of waiting for the main drive to spin up, locate, and serve what's needed.



By Electronista Staff
toggle

Comments

  1. Zanziboy

    Forum Regular

    Joined: 08-27-08

    I think the Fusion Drive is an excellent innovation and provides a real performance increase for people needing large amounts of storage for media and graphic production.

  1. coffeetime

    Mac Enthusiast

    Joined: 11-15-06

    It sounds good for heavy graphic task. Just got my Mac Mini a few months ago and probably wait until a few years later to get fusion. By then, there should be more memory to the flash drive with the same price.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Like you can't do this already... more TMs for things that have existed in public view already. crApple is a name hog.

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    Like you can't do this already... more TMs for things that have existed in public view already. crApple is a name hog.



    Name one Mac-compatible method/product that works this way.

    Just one.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by Spheric HarlotView Post


    Name one Mac-compatible method/product that works this way.
    Just one.

    DVD tray SSD mount works, doesn't it?

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    [QUOTE=Spheric Harlot;4198500]
    Name one Mac-compatible method/product that works this way.
    Just one.

    DVD tray SSD mount works, doesn't it?[/quote]

    WTF?

    Q: "Name a road-legal product that works the same way as a Prius hybrid car"

    A: "Electric scooter in the same garage works, doesn't it?"


    You *might* want to take a rudimentary gander at what's been written about the Fusion Drive, just to get a basic idea of what it actually does:

    The new iMac introduces a breakthrough storage option called Fusion Drive, which combines a high-capacity hard drive with high-performance flash storage. Fusion Drive automatically and intelligently manages your data so that frequently used apps, documents, photos, and other files stay on the faster flash storage, while infrequently used items move to the hard drive. You’ll enjoy shorter boot times, and as the system learns how you work, you’ll experience faster application launches and quicker file access.
    Single logical volume.

    Stuff is shuffled around in the background dynamically and completely transparently, according to your usage profile.







    Sooooo… to reiterate:

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    Like you can't do this already... more TMs for things that have existed in public view already. crApple is a name hog.



    Name one Mac-compatible method/product that works this way.

    Just one.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by Spheric HarlotView Post


    WTF?...

    so in other words another name for a Momentus XT??

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    [QUOTE=Spheric Harlot;4198678]
    WTF?...

    so in other words another name for a Momentus XT??[/quote]

    No.

    We get that you're unable to just admit that your were spewing your bullshit out of complete ignorance, but I would suggest you drop out quickly, while you're still ahead and have the benefit of being more funny than embarrassing.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by Spheric HarlotView Post


    No.
    We get that you're unable to just admit that your were spewing your bullshit out of complete ignorance, but I would suggest you drop out quickly, while you're still ahead and have the benefit of being more funny than embarrassing.

    You know you can use an SSD & a HDD in a software RAID setup to create one logical volume on a mac mini, right? Where are you coming from?? I stand my ground.

    And who is "we"? Is this an episode from "internet" vs man?? I think you just believe anything that is labeled crApple, that way you can fill up on HyperBole.

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Yes, we know all these things.

    You're now claiming it's just like a software RAID?

    So you've at least figured out why claiming it was like a Momentus XT was clueless bullshit?
    The fusion drive does not cache. Excellent.

    Now, do you need help figuring out why it's not simply a software RAID consisting of a Flash drive and a hard disk?

    Let me repeat: Stuff is shuffled around in the background dynamically and completely transparently, according to your usage profile. It actually shifts around data, applications, and support files. On a system level.


    Can you please now shut your ****ing hole?


    PS.: the "we" comes from the fact that I am just the only one of your captive audience here bothering to waste his time to dismantle your ignorant bullshit.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by Spheric HarlotView Post

    Yes, we know all these things.
    You're now claiming it's just like a software RAID?
    So you've at least figured out why claiming it was like a Momentus XT was clueless bullshit?
    The fusion drive does not cache. Excellent.
    Now, do you need help figuring out why it's not simply a software RAID consisting of a Flash drive and a hard disk?
    Let me repeat: Stuff is shuffled around in the background dynamically and completely transparently, according to your usage profile. It actually shifts around data, applications, and support files. On a system level.
    Can you please now shut your ****ing hole?
    PS.: the "we" comes from the fact that I am just the only one of your captive audience here bothering to waste his time to dismantle your ignorant bullshit.

    So in other words, you are on crApples MVF (Most Valuable Fan) List... What did you get, a season pass for believing the HyperBole marketing structure fed to you?? Was it nutritious? Do you feel mighty and energized like the Green Giant?

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Funny that the Momentus XT says it does shuffling dynamically as well. Whoopdeedo

    Just cause the SSD portion of the "intrusion" Drive is maybe FASTER or ROOMIER, does this make it really entirely different as you would like to make it out to be? This is not "out of this world" so get off crApples "nutellia" (awesome play on words huh?).

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    Funny that the Momentus XT says it does shuffling dynamically as well. Whoopdeedo

    Just cause the SSD portion of the "intrusion" Drive is maybe FASTER or ROOMIER, does this make it really entirely different as you would like to make it out to be? This is not "out of this world" so get off crApples "nutellia" (awesome play on words huh?).



    Do you understand the difference between caching and moving data?

    The Momentus has an SSD cache. That's why having only 8GB on there isn't completely useless.

    Fusion drives have an actual SSD partition with enough room to actually keep applications, data, OS and support files on there PERMANENTLY.

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by Spheric HarlotView Post


    Do you understand the difference between caching and moving data?
    The Momentus has an SSD cache. That's why having only 8GB on there isn't completely useless.
    Fusion drives have an actual SSD partition with enough room to actually keep applications, data, OS and support files on there PERMANENTLY.

    yup, back to the mac mini RAID setup. whatever.... moving on.

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    [QUOTE=Spheric Harlot;4199131]
    Do you understand the difference between caching and moving data?
    The Momentus has an SSD cache. That's why having only 8GB on there isn't completely useless.
    Fusion drives have an actual SSD partition with enough room to actually keep applications, data, OS and support files on there PERMANENTLY.

    yup, back to the mac mini RAID setup. whatever.... moving on.[/quote]

    And manual file management?

    Sure thing, blahblahbber. "Whatever" indeed.

    :lol:

  1. blahblahbber

    Banned

    Joined: 02-01-05

    Originally Posted by Spheric HarlotView Post


    And manual file management?
    Sure thing, blahblahbber. "Whatever" indeed.
    :lol:

    you obviously forgot what swapfiles do, and caches... all easily reconfigured for your creative placement. Don't be a dunce, anyone can customize the performance of their OSX system... Try looking next time. And stop falling for HyperBole marketing schemes from crApple!!

    NEXT

  1. Spheric Harlot

    Clinically Insane

    Joined: 11-07-99

    Sooooo… to reiterate:

    Originally Posted by blahblahbberView Post

    Like you can't do this already... more TMs for things that have existed in public view already. crApple is a name hog.



    Name one Mac-compatible method/product that works this way.

    Just one.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

toggle

Most Popular

Sponsor

Recent Reviews

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2030 projector

With high-definition televisions now the standard, 4K televisions becoming the next big thing, and plasma TVs going the way of the din ...

Life n Soul 8 Driver Bluetooth headphones

When it comes to music on the go, consumers generally have some options to consider when looking for the best experience. While Blueto ...

Tesoro Tizona G2N Elite gaming keyboard

The market for gaming keyboards is getting crowded, starting off with some fairly simple keyboards and diverging into the land of modu ...

Sponsor

toggle

Most Commented

 
toggle

Popular News