updated 04:05 pm EDT, Mon April 1, 2013
Details still undisclosed
The designs for the next two generations of iPhone have already been developed, claims the district attorney for San Francisco, George Gascón. Unusually, in an interview about smartphone and tablet thefts, Gascón claims to have been personally informed about the future hardware by an Apple government liaison, Michael Foulkes. Their designs "preceded Tim Cook [becoming CEO]," Gascón says, while arguing that he would eventually like to see a killswitch technology that could disable a mobile device after it's reported stolen. Many devices can already be remotely wiped, including the iPhone, but all this does is remove any personal information or content.
Gascón says he met for an hour last week with Foulkes, but calls the experience "very underwhelming." Foulkes "did most of the talking," Gascón explains. "It was incredible. He would just go on and on, one subject to the next. It was hard to follow. It was almost like someone who's been trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing."
The reason for the interest in a killswitch is the sheer volume of iPhone thefts, which amount to half of all the robberies reported in San Francisco last year. A killswitch would presumably make stolen phones less appealing to thieves, but Gascón says that he came away disappointed not only from the meeting with Apple but a March meeting with wireless providers. Foulkes appears to have suggested that developing a killswitch would involve a long and difficult development process.