Printed from http://www.electronista.com

iPad mini shortages connected to burn-in on Sharp LCDs, rumor claims

updated 09:38 am EST, Fri November 8, 2013

Apple allegedly turning to Samsung for help

Anticipated shortages of the Retina iPad Mini are linked to burn-in problems Sharp is having with its IGZO LCD panels, an industry source claims. The burn-in is thought to be caused by malfunctions in thin-film transistors. The source notes that while the burn-in is invisible to the eye, it still doesn't meet Apple's quality standards.

The resulting low yield rates have slowed down overall Mini production, prompting Apple to turn to Samsung. At the moment, LG Display is thought to be handling 60 percent of Mini display production, using amorphous silicon (a-Si) for its TFTs, which doesn't have the burn-in problem. Sharp is responsible for the remaining 40 percent of screens, but could lose at least some orders to Samsung starting in 2014. The latter uses another technology without burn-in issues, low temperature polycrystalline silicon, or LTPS.

The account is consistent with other recent rumors pointing to Sharp as the weak link. LG has also been rumored as having trouble though, which may mean that the Mini's display is simply difficult to manufacture under any circumstance. The screen uses the same resolution as the 9.7-inch iPad Air, but compressed down to 7.9 inches. That gives it an incredibly sharp pixel density, which may be easy to botch.



By Electronista Staff
Post tools:

TAGS :

toggle

Comments

  1. Paul Huang

    Mac Enthusiast

    Joined: 09-18-99

    Same 'pixel count', not same 'resolution'. Resolution refers to pixel density, or pixel per inch (PPI).

  1. wrenchy

    Forum Regular

    Joined: 11-03-09

    That's what you get for entering a deal with a 3rd rate manufacturer like Sharp. Should have stuck with Samsung!!

  1. SierraDragon

    Mac Elite

    Joined: 03-22-04

    Sure. Just do not bring any ideas to the table if you intend to work with Samsung.

Login Here

Not a member of the MacNN forums? Register now for free.

toggle

Network Headlines

toggle

Most Popular

Sponsor

Recent Reviews

Asus Chromebook C300

When Chromebooks hit the market back in 2011, consumers didn't know what to do with them. The low-cost laptops, powered by Google's Ch ...

Plantronics BackBeat Pro Bluetooth headphones

Looking for a pair of headphones that can do everything a user requires is a task that can take some study. Trying to decide on in-ear ...

Lemur BlueDriver

"Oh no, the check engine light is on…again! What one of the hundreds of reasons could it be this time? Probably going to cost a fort ...

Sponsor

toggle

Most Commented

 
toggle

Popular News