updated 07:32 am EDT, Thu March 27, 2014
Third major gas-related incident at Samsung facilities in 18-month period
Another employee at a Samsung manufacturing facility has died in an accident, following a gas leak by a malfunctioning safety system. An unnamed 52-year old worker at a plant owned by a Samsung manufacturing partner suffocated after the safety monitors wrongly detected a fire, releasing carbon dioxide into the local area to extinguish the non-existent flames.
Yonhap News reports the local police and fire authorities are still investigating the reasons behind the mistaken gas release. Samsung has already confirmed the leak, according to Engadget, adding that it will be working on preventing the incident from happening in the future.
This is the third reported industrial accident in an 18-month period, though this incident differs from previous instances. In January last year, an aerosolized hydrofluoric acid leak in one South Korea factory caused the death of one employee and the hospitalization of four others, with authorities alerted to the event 14 hours after the event took place. Samsung received a fine of $1,000 for its slow response to the leak, as well as a self-imposed penance of not applying for its plants to be certified as "green" operations for a few years. In a second incident four months later, three employees were injured in the same factory in extremely similar circumstances.