MacNN's IRC channel, #macnn, is hosted on the Hashmark IRC network; you can connect to either of the two servers below.
You can use any standard IRC client to connect to #macnn, but a few popular ones are listed below:
If you're comfortable with Unix, we recommend Irssi.
Fink and MacPorts are the easiest ways to install Unix software on Mac OS X.
We ask that users observe a few basic guidelines to keep the channel civil.
- Don't harass or attack other users; this includes racist/sexist behavior, excessive cursing, etc.
- Don't paste large amounts of text into the channel. Link to a website with the text instead if you want to paste more than a few lines.
- Don't advertise.
- Don't ask for help in downloading pirated software, pornography, etc.
- If you want to run a bot or script in the channel, ask a channel operator for permission first.
- Respect channel ops, who may set other rules as they see fit.
Our rules are more or less a matter of common sense. In general, if you're doing something wrong, you'll get a warning from a channel operator. Continued misbehavior can result in being kicked or temporarily banned from the channel. If you're unsure about anything, ask a channel op.