Desktop 3D printer offers color, 25-micron accuracy, simple setup
A new 3D printer from botObjects is said to be the first in the world to perform full color 3D prints on a desktop. The ProDesk3D aims to improve existing 3D printing products aimed at end users, such as the MakerBot range of devices, by offering a desktop printer that is touted to combine high accuracy with a mature physical design, as well as simplifying the 3D printing process.
Netherlands, Belgium first to get Staples Easy 3D service
Staples is going to offer 3D printing to model designers in some of its European stores from early 2013. Called Staples Easy 3D, the office retailer will allow customers located in the Netherlands and Belgium to print out full-color objects from their own files, and then to either pick them up from a local store or have them shipped to their address.
Officejet Pro line targets small work team printing
HP today unveiled new additions to both its Officejet Pro and LaserJet lines of printers, targeting small and medium-sized businesses and other enterprise-class customers. The new Officejet Pro X series of desktop printers and multifunction printers produce content at up to twice the speed of their competitors and lower the cost of printing. Powered by HP's PageWide Technology, the Officejet Pro X series is capable of printing high-quality documents at up to 70 pages per minute.
Four-color unit comes with Coupons.com offers
In a flurry of product announcements from Shanghai, HP introduced one new All-in-One (AIO) printer, a replacement for the current 5510 called the 5520 that addresses all the significant omissions of the previous model, mainly the duplexing and layout support. The 5520 e-All-in-One features a new automatic duplexer for easy two-sided support, along with options for booklet and multi-page printing. Wireless mobile printing is also supported.
Compatible printers coming out in September
Epson will be adding AirPrint support for wireless printing to major new models of Epson inkjet printers starting next month. The support will enable users to wirelessly print from most iOS devices, including the iPhone 3GS and later, iPad and iPad 2 and the third-generation and later iPod Touch, running iOS 4.2 or later.
No more plastic waste, improved sustainability
Yanko Design has unveiled a radical wax-based printing concept the Wax-on by designer Faris Eimasu. The radical design replaces traditional ink-based plastic cartridges with a re-loadable tube that houses colored wax. The minimal, upright design also reduces the desktop footprint of a traditional printer.
Magic Printer prints pages from an iPhone
Wellala has released a remote printing app for the iPhone and iPod touch, Print Magic. The app allows users to print content from the mobile device via Wi-Fi, without the need to first sync to a computer. It can print directly to network printers that support the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP), along with any printer capable of sharing from a Mac via Printer Sharing. In order to print content, users simply copy the data into the application or, when printing web pages, copy the URL.
ImageBuddy 4 update ships
RAW file support is the headline feature in Kepmad's ImageBuddy 4 update. The photo printing application now includes optional support for camera RAW formats using Apple’s Core Image rendering engine. Imagebuddy is a digital image layout program that expands on iPhoto's limited printing options and supports Aperture as well. It offers options for cropping, resizing and rotating photos, and provides layout and design capabilities too.
iPrint 2.0 ($15) allows users to select data within an application that they would like to print. The selection of data can be done through the use of a keyboard shortcut or a popup Dock menu and allows users to print only the material they desire to print. A new Preferences window has been added which allows users to set a default option of always displaying both the Page Setup and Print dialog boxes, always bypassing both the Page Setup and Print dialog boxes, or displaying just the Print dialog box. The applications graphics have also been improved along with other small internal improvements. [Download - 1.5MB]
Print It!, iFind
iWeb Valet 2.0 ($19) is a tool for enhancing and uploading iWeb pages. After creating a page in iWeb, instead of publishing to MobileMe, iWeb Valet allows users to publish the site to a local folder and then upload it to an FTP sever. The update includes the ability to add new interactive widgets and also allows users to preview the modified pages in a browser at any point, instead of having to upload it to a web sever first. [Download - 8.6MB]
KavaMovies 1.2 ($35) is a movie database application that allows users to organize the movies they have seen, the ones they want to see and those that are a part of their collection. The application also connects to the internet to obtain extra information about each movie such as actors, directors, genres and more. Version 1.2 includes new import options, and features a new import wizard to step you through finding the right movie for each title. [Download - 3.3MB]
TV Row, Labels & Addresses
Webify 1.1 ($16) is intended for users that prepare content for internet publication. Groups of images can be simultaneously resized, flipped, scaled, or rotated, saving time over single image editing. Webify works as an image browser, with a drag-and-drop interface claimed allow for faster work. The 1.1 update now properly handles the Rotation effect on rectangular shaped images, as well as retains meta data in saved images. [Download - 1.9MB]
Avery DesignPro for Mac
Avery on Wednesday unveiled the finalized version to its DesignPro software, its label and stationery designing and printing application. Being an avery product, the company includes over 1300 pre-designed layouts for their paper products, allowing users to quickly create business labels, CD labels, and more. The final version also includes over 2000 clip art and photo images for use with projects. Users can download DesignPro for free, directly from Avery's website.
- TimeCache 7.0.10 ($30) time and expense billing application. It offers tracking of all computer activity, can use Apple Address Book entries for client contact information, can produce charts of billable time and expenses, and can import from and export tiCal calendars. Version 7.0.10 fixes a bug that could cause a crash when printing some report formats. This is a free update to the Universal Binary Macintosh OS X application. [Download - 14.8MB]
- Web Confidential 3.8 ($20) professional password manager for Mac OS X. Web Confidential uses an intuitive, easy-to-use cardfile metaphor for passwords. The tool gives you access to your passwords from within your browser and from the Mac OS X Dock. When you need access to a user ID and password, a handy floating utility window shows all the information you might need about your password. This latest version is Leopard compatible and adds a Recent Searches popup menu to the search field. The upgrade is free for registered owners of Web Confidential. [Download - form]
- RouteBuddy 2.1 ($100) GPS mapping program for Mac OS X. Provides native Mac OS X support for Garmin and NMEA GPS devices, and allows users to manage and display their GPS data using high-precision vector-based road maps. This release adds a new caching system to greatly improve performance,provides additional route management and printing support, and can track your GPS location in real time. Several crashing bugs have also been addressed, and searching and waypoint management have also been improved. [Download - 19.8MB]
- Contactizer 3.6 ($120) personal information management application. The new release includes a dozen new features and enhancements, and now fully Leopard compliant. Contactizer 3.6 sports a Cover Flow mode (Leopard Only feature) that shows your contacts in a business card like presentation, a Task Quick Entry Panel (even works when Contactizer is not running), a new multi-calendar sync system and many user interface enhancements. Contactizer 3.6 is fully compatible with Mac OS X Tiger and Mac OS X Leopard and it is distributed as a Universal Binary and runs natively on both PowerPC and Intel Macs. [Download - 25MB]
- MMScript 1.1 ($35) a plug-in for FileMaker Pro. This plug-in allows you to create Script Events that call FileMaker Pro Scripts in your Database. The plug-in also allows you to call a script when the user has been idle for any specified amount of time. New to version 1.1 is the ability to do shell scripting as well as many underlying enhancements and bug fixes. The new release also has updated core plug-in code to include all changes/enhancements from other CNS Plug-ins. [Download - form]
Kodak ESP 5 printer
Kodak on Thursday announced its newest all-in-one printer, the ESP 5. The printer is able to scan, copy and print documents and images and do so without a connected computer thanks to its multi-format memory card slot and Bluetooth support. A 3-inch color LCD display allows users to preview and edit the content before printing.
Discribe 6.0 now Universal
Charismac Engineering has announced Discribe v6.0, a new version of the Mac OS X disc (including Blu-Ray) burning software has been completely rewritten from the ground up in Universal Binary Code. The new release has a new user interface that is more intuitive and easier to navigate. It also includes an extensive list of requested features from previous versions. Meanwhile, Primera Technology, a manufacturer of CD, DVD, and Blu-ray Disc duplication and printing equipment, announced an agreement with Charismac to include Discribev6.0 software in all Bravo-Series and XR-Series Disc Publishers.
Security 2008-002 v1.1
Apple today released a new Security Update, following closely behind last week's update, fixing a printing-related error in Aperture 2.0. Security Update 2008-002 v1.1 addresses reliability issues stemming from the "Printer Settings…" button in Aperture 2.0, and says the issue affects no other applications. Users who have installed Aperture 2.0, Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard, and the former security update are recommended to download this new patch.
SOHO Labels 3.5 released
Chronos today released SOHO Labels 3.5, an update to its label printing software that features circular text boxes and zip code sorting. The latest release allows users to place circular text on designs, and dedicated inspector tools are available for customizing whether text is drawn inside or outside of the circle Contacts are sortable by zip code, and the zip code is shown in the contacts list when the option is chosen. SOHO Labels 3.5 is a free update for registered SOHO Labels 3.x users, and is priced at $40 for new users.
iScrapbook retail box
Chronos today announced the availability of a retail-boxed version iScrapbook – its digital scrapbooking application – at Apple retail stores nationwide. Originally available as a stand-alone DVD and a direct download, iScrapbook allows users to design and print scrapbooks. The app comes with the SOHO Art Pack for no additional cost, a collection of 40,000+ designer-quality photographs, object photos, and vector-based clip-art. The iScrapbook retail version is available from the Apple retail store for $55.