Dozens of new plug-ins added, package now on sale
Monkeybread Software have released their 11th annual collection of plug-ins that extend the REALbasic development environment, adding dozens of new functions, events and classes that focus on supporting the new web applications development and Cocoa target, with a particular emphasis on picture handling. The collection now totals over 1,400 classes and 32,000 documented functions.
REALbasic plugins get accessibility in Carbon
Keynote Pro has released Aurora for Keynote, a new theme tied to Apple's presentation software. It includes 26 master slide templates covering a variety of purposes, with new Citation and Compare & Contrast layouts. The download is also accompanied by the Aurora Supplemental Materials file, which includes the Aurora palette, Button Objects for interactive presentations, and an infographic style using translucent hexagons to create a sense of perspective. Aurora Standard Edition costs $25, while a Pro Edition with extra HD content is priced at $35. Also available is the Pro Mobile edition, which bundles Pro Edition and new Aurora EP Edition content for $50.
Software previously titled REALbasic
REAL Software has released an update to its development utility, Studio 2010. The software was previously known as REALbasic, although the programming language name remains unchanged. Release 1 adds several new features and improvements, including additional support for ActiveX. Previous versions only offered a limited subset of ActiveX controls, while the latest release is claimed to support most of the controls and all events.
New plugins feature new methods, classes, fixes
Monkeybread Software has launched an update to its REALbasic plug-in package, MBS REALbasic Plugins 10.0. The suite features 29,000 functions in over 1,300 classes, providing REALbasic developers with an extensive list of extended tools to build software for the three major platforms.
Studio edition adds build automation
REAL has launched a new update, Release 4, for REALbasic and REALbasic Studio 2009. The software development suites are cross-platform, and object-oriented. Supported elements include the likes of RTI, vector graphics, QuickTime and XML.
Gain Snow Leopard classes, Cocoa code
Monkeybread has released v9.6 of its REALbasic plug-ins, which expand the development platform. New in the update are special Snow Leopard classes, such as ones for OpenCL, Core Location and spellchecking. Also present are a variety of new classes and methods for Cocoa, and a variety of Core Image filters, such as CISpotColor and CIBumpDistortionLinear.
MBS REALbasic 9.5 plug-ins
Monkeybread has posted the final v9.5 release of its plug-ins for REALbasic, used to expand the platform's capabilities. The completed plug-in set hosts 1,500 classes, and more than 29,000 functions. Some of the added classes include: QTFrameExtractorMBS, RegistrationEngineMBS, SQLite3MBS, SQLAPIMBS, CGImageSourceMBS, CGImageDestinationMBS and CGImageMBS.Picture.
VB Migration asst ships
REAL Software has launched its new VB Migration Assistant, a tool for transferring software from Visual Basic to REALbasic code. REALbasic is a cross-platform software development application that can generate software from small utilities to enterprise-level applications. The new VB Migration assistant automates the transfer of Visual Basic 5 and VB 6 projects into REALbasic, avoiding numerous manual copy and past cycles.
MBS plug-ins 9.5pr6
Monkeybread is distributing v9.5, prerelease 6 of its REALbasic plug-ins. The update brings the number of functions to 30,000, and the number of classes to 1,500. In general the v9.5 upgrade includes OCR classes for optical text recognition, and the QTFrameExtractorMBS class, which extracts pictures from a QuickTime movie. Also added are asynchronous DNS queries, and CGImageSource/Destination classes used to read and write image data, such as EXIF, IPTC and GPS information.
REALbasic 3 Released
REAL has updated its cross-platform tools for application development, REALbasic and REAL Studio. Release 3 boasts more than 100 improvements and 31 new features, including OpenGL support for faster creation of 3D applications compared to traditional C-programming methods. The software is used to create programs for Mac, Windows or Linux operating systems, using both BASIC computing languages and visually-designed interfaces.
REALbasic starter kit
In brief: A new set of iWeb themes have been released by iPresentee. The five themes are designed for creating business websites and each includes 11 templates instead of the usual 8. Core Cases is currently running a sale on all of its products, offering everything at a price of $10 or less. The company offers protective cases for all of Apple's latest handhelds, along with models for several older-generation devices. Beginner REALbasic developers now have access to a new kit which includes several resources for learning different aspects of the development environment. The kit includes a program which teaches users about various functions, along with source code for several example applications.
REALbasic plug-ins 9.3
MonkeyBread has released v9.3 of the MBS plug-ins for REALbasic, offering updates and new capabilities. The plug-ins extend the REALbasic development environment with 1,500 classes and over 29,000 document functions. Changes include a new SQL plug-in for accessing multiple SQL databases, more filter functions, an added GraphicsMagick plug-in, and updates to LCMS Library, ChartDirector, DynaPDF and SQLAPI. The update also comes with more LCMS classes and functions, and a MacShowAboutBoxMBS feature.
MBS plug-ins 9.1
MonkeyBread has launched v9.1 of the MBS plug-ins for REALbasic, said to add over 50 new capabilities and bug fixes. Changes include fixes for REALbasic 5 compatibility issues, a UniMotionMBS module to detect the movements of a Mac, an updated dynaPDF version, and more scripting functions. The plug-ins extend the REALbasic development environment with some 1,500 classes and over 28,000 functions.
REALbasic plug-ins 9.0
Monkeybread has released an update to its REALbasic plug-ins, which have finally reached v9.0. The plug-ins expand the basic functionality of the development platform with new classes and functions; v9.0 ads the PNGWriterMBS and PNGReaderMBS classes, for instance, and the CURLMBS.LoadLibraryData function. Other items new to the update -- which concentrates on graphics -- include CIImageMBS.RenderNSImage, more PictureMBS methods, and TiffPictureMBS.ReadRGB.
REAL Server 2009 in Feb.
REAL Software, the producer of the REALbasic development platform, has announced plans to release updated server software in February. REAL Server 2009 is said to have been overhauled with an event-based asynchronous architecture, and now uses Multi-Version Concurrency Control, which is said to improve both concurrency and scalability. The latter aspect has been improved throughout the program, in theory allowing over 10,000 concurrent connections.
Health Tracker 3.3.0 ($20) is a tool for tracking and graphing any health related measurement. Diabetics can keep track of their blood glucose levels and people on diets can track their weight. The software also keeps track of your rate of losses or gains for each measurement, and evaluates how long it should take you to reach a goal, if a goal has been entered. The update features completely redesigned graphs and allows users to copy the graphs to the clipboard to add to other applications. [Download - 7.4MB]
Cocktail 4.2 (Tiger Edition) ($15) is designed to allow access to some of the more complicated functions within the Unix shell. The update allow uses to search and delete corrupted preference files and also includes a searchable database of Mac OS system error codes. The software has also been optimized to improve both the speed and reliability of the software. This release is only for users running Mac OS X Tiger. [Download - 2MB]
DiscLabel 5.3 ($36) is an application made for designing CD/DVD labels. It works along with iTunes and iPhoto to automatically import media information that was just burned to a CD or photos. The update adds support for also importing photos from aperture along with the ability to select pictures from multiple iPhoto libraries. [Download - 12.7MB]
MBS 8.5 update
Monkeybread software has launched version 8.5 of its MBS plug-ins for REALbasic, a collection of extensions for the development software. The plug-ins carry over 1,000 classes and 22,000 functions, and require a minimum of REALbasic 5.5 or later. MBS 8.5 adds an improved Java database and Phidget classes, as well as WindowsBurnMBS, WindowsProxyMBS, SignalHandlerMBS, NSAutoreleasePoolMBS, WindowsFolderChangeMBS and WindowsListMBS classes.
BuildMate 1.0 ships
Ekim Software is shipping BuildMate 1.0, a cross-platform build process automation tool for REALBasic. It allows users to set properties and constants, with static and dynamic values, in a project, moving the resulting application build to a builds directory. BuildMate 1.0 helps users with scheduling nightly builds and simplifying the build process into one command. The software can build multiple projects from a single configuration file, set the constant and property values prior to building, and copy resource files into the built application package.
In brief: We have published a review of OmniFocus, Snapshot has been acquired by LateNiteSoft, Blizzard is giving away World of Warcraft expansion pack keys, a REALbasic survey is now online and Mission Repair offers flat-rate MacBook LCD replacement ... We have posted a review of OmniFocus, a task manager from The Omni Group in Seattle, WA. It is loosely based on the vaunted Getting Things Done (GTD) philosophy of David Allen, who holds the term's copyright. OmniFocus is not rigidly tied to the Getting Things Done approach, but strict GTD adherents can use it. This Tiger and Leopard compatible program has a simple and single purpose: To allow your computer to do the work of managing tasks -- from feeding the cat to making your first million.
First Look: REALbasic
Due to a lack of visually-oriented programming tools, the Macintosh has a reputation for being a difficult platform for which to develop applications, especially when designing the user interface. Although Apple includes a free copy of XCode with every Macintosh, XCode is really designed for experienced programmers who are versed in several programming languages. Since C-based languages can be hard to learn and XCode can be confusing as well, most people canít write programs for the Macintosh. Fortunately, thatís all changed with REALbasic 2008 Release 1, the latest version of the cross-platform development tool from REAL Software.
- Live Interior 1.5 ($80) lets users design house, office, apartment, and other interiors with realistic 3D walk-throughs. Live Interior 3D 1.5 update adds lamp creating functionality. Now you can compose and edit various lamps using Light Source Editor, insert and adjust different types of light sources in any objects including imported ones. [Download - 49.4MB]
- MBS REALbasic plug-ins 8.1 ($270) a collection of several plug-in parts which extend the REALbasic development environment with over 900 classes and 2 controls featuring over 17000 documented functions. This release adds: new ThreadMBS class for crossplatform preemptive threads in REALbasic; MutexMBS class to work with the ThreadMBS class; IKImageEditPanelMBS class to use the image edit panel from Apple. [Download - 80.4MB]
- PasswordWallet 4.3.3 ($10) password management application. PasswordWallet for iPhone gives you access to your passwords on your iPhone: ninternet connection or hacks required. †And it's all secured with 448-bit BlowFish. Version 4.3.3 adds localizations for French and Japanese.†Also included is the "Synchronize Files" Automator Action that is Leopard compatible; smoothed import from Splash ID; explicit Read Only warnings if your data is read from a read-only disk or permissions are askew; other improvements. [Download - 2.4MB]
- KeyCue 4.1 ($30) keyboard shortcut cheat sheet. This release adds two high-contrast large-font themes to make KeyCue even more helpful for visually impaired users. The new version also offers an automatic update checking system, which ensures timely access to updates for future versions. KeyCue 4.1 requires Mac OS X 10.4 or newer and is compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). [Download - 922KB]
- Power Manager 3.7.1 ($30) helps schools, businesses, and homes save energy by automating their Macs. Power Manager 3.7.2 includes an improved Quick Schedule interface, tweaked icons for Mac OS X 10.5's menu bar gradient, and a bug fix for rescheduled events. It also fixes a critical bug that could cause events to be skipped. This bug potentially occurred when delaying or altering an event. [Download - 1.7MB]
REALbasic 2008 Release 1
REAL Software is now shipping REALbasic 2008 Release 1, its cross-platform development environment for Mac OS X, Linux, and Microsoft Windows. Offering over 39 minor improvements, REALbasic 2008 Release 1 includes a new feature called Introspection, which allows programmers to access the type and characteristics of an object at runtime -- before compiling a program. The new feature makes object-oriented programming easier to use and understand while allowing more advanced dynamic programming techniques in creating REALbasic applications.
- iPhone Drive 1.4 ($20) Mac OS X application which lets the iPhone and iPod Touch be used like a disk for portable file storage. This release adds Adds Call Log access. Adds SMS message access. Adds camera photo access. Adds the ability to play music stored on the iPhone or iPod Touch. This release adds Call Log access; SMS message access; camera photo access and the ability to play music stored on the iPhone or iPod Touch. [Download - 3MB]
- Nicecast 1.9 ($40) internet radio station tool. This update includes Instant Hijack 2, enabling the hijacking of audio from applications which are already running on Leopard, as well as Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). As well, the System Audio Extra has been updated with Soundflower 1.3 and a new Track Titles drawer has been added. This free update is recommended for all users on Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 [Download - 7.5MB]
- License Keeper 1.3 ($20) stores and organizes important software license information, helping to prevent the loss of valuable software assets and making it accessible when needed most. Automatic serial number scanning and software information detection greatly reduces cumbersome data entry. Attachments keep related email and documents safely archived along with license and registration records. [Download - 1.8MB]
- Unity 2.0.2 ($200) game creation tool. This release includes the following enhancements: A new integrated Ping class for pinging remote servers or machines; Added boolean and byte array parameter support for RPC functions; Improved host list processing (Network.RequestHostList()) so it doesn't cause delays. Client connections to the master server are also more efficient. [Download - form]
- Timed Screenshot 1.1 (donationware) Timed Screenshot, a simple background utility to save screenshots to a folder every few seconds; made with REALbasic from REAL Software, Inc. Requires Mac OS X; source code is included. This application shows REALbasic developers how to use the screenshot functions from the MBS Plugin. Also you can see how to make a background only application (no dock icon). [Download - 2.5MB]
MBS plug-in 8.0
Monkeybread Software has released version 8.0 of the MBS plug-in for REALbasic. The MBS plug-in comprises a collection of several plug-in parts which extend the REALbasic development environment with over 900 classes featuring over 18000 documented functions. A few of the new items in version 8.0: Updated to dynapdf 18.104.22.1680; Added OptionTTLMBS, OptionTOSMBS and OptionMulticastTTLMBS properties to SocketCore class. Also added ClearOptionsMBS method; Added BarcodeScannerMBS.mode property.
REALbasic 2008 annnounced
REAL Software is using the Macworld Expo to premiere REALbasic 2008, the latest version of its multi-platform development environment. It uses an object-oriented programming language, a cross-platform object framework, and a compiler that produces native executables for each operating system. The 2008 edition adds introspection -- the ability to identify objects, what they "know," and what they can be used for. Through this feature users can serialize object storage, use remote method invocation for data sharing, and use data binding to keep consistency when values are altered.
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 3.1.1 ($15) video editing and production application. The new release includes Mac OS X v10.5 (Leopard) compatibility updates and important bug fixes. It is highly recommended for all Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 users. Requires Mac OS X v10.4.9Ė10.5 (Leopard), 1GB of RAM for DV; 2GB of RAM for HDV and HD, and 10GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation). [Download - 54MB]
- Jisho 2.2 ($15) Japanese-English dictionary. Jisho 2.2 brings improved zooming functionality allowing an infinite amount zoom into characters, results sorting, and other enhancements. Among the enhancements to Jisho 2.2 beyond infinite zoom and results sorting include a new 512x512 Leopard friendly icon, an updated eSellerate framework, and including searches done via the service to the search history. [Download - 26.1MB]
- HelpRunner 1.0 (free) module that enables REALbasic developers to easily implement native support for Apple Help (on Mac OS X) and Microsoft HTML Help (CHM on Windows) in REALbasic applications. In Mac OS X Bundle apps, HelpRunner provides easy-to-use methods for registering an Apple Help Book and opening an Apple Help Book in Mac OS X's native Help Viewer. [Download - 472KB]
- MercuryMover 1.0 ($20) keyboard controlled, Window moving and resizing utility for Mac OS X. At its most basic, MercuryMover enables anyone to easily and conveniently move and/or resize the frontmost window, directly from the keyboard. Incredibly simple and straightforward, power users who like to keep their fingers on the keyboard and off of the mouse, have been waiting for MercuryMover. [Download - 824KB]
- Norrkross Movie 1.1 ($60) video editing application for creative amateurs. Easily arrange sequences of video clips, still images and sound layers, allows real time, non-destructive video effects and unlimited layers with transparency compositing. This update focuses on user interface improvements. It has a beautiful new open format multi-track timeline, improved video export and lots of tweaks and fixes to make video editing smooth. [Download - 6.6MB]