Shin keeps position as mobile division CEO, other mobile executives leaving roles
Samsung is taking a different path than previously thought during its yearly management shuffle, as the South Korean electronics manufacturer is keeping Head of Mobile Communications and Co-CEO Jong-kyun Shin in his post for the time being. However, during the company's yearly management change, at least three other executives in the mobile division will be removed from their positions.
Home appliance, television Co-CEO could take over mobile, Shin might lose CEO role
The sharp decline in smartphone sales appears to be taking its toll on Samsung, as sources say the South Korean company is considering a management shake-up at the very top. A plan under consideration would see current head of the mobile division Jong-Kyun Shin replaced, and possibly losing his co-CEO role within Samsung.
Pichai now running most Google products, Page expects move to boost innovation
Google CEO Larry Page sent a memo to Google staffers yesterday, reorganizing the upper echelons of management, and stepping back somewhat from his daily duties. In the memo, Page transfers a number of divisions that previously reported directly to him over to Android chief Sundar Pichai. Pichai is currently responsible for Android, Chrome, and Google Apps. Now under his purview are research, maps, Google+, search, ad products, and company infrastructure. Page will continue to run access, energy, Nest, Calico, Google X, legal, finance, and corporate development.
Project management for big and little task organization
For many people, the ability to formalize a project -- write it down, include all the physical actions that will need to be accomplished and/or the people who will be involved -- makes doing a thing actionable and real. Likewise, setting deadlines can help motivate users to actually accomplish a goal by invoking their competitive spirit, challenging themselves or others to complete tasks on time. The Omni Group have put out a new version of their project-management software, Omnifocus 2, so we made a note to take a look at it.
Program combines Microsoft offerings into one centrally-managed program
In parallel with the unveiling of Office for the iPad, Microsoft has also debuted a "holistic" approach to enterprise mobile device control. The new Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite is a cross-platform approach, encompassing Android, iOS, and Windows Phone, to control permissions, manage data access, and retain separation of personal and business-oriented data on a device, all with cloud-centric management.
Praises initial efforts, but points out glass ceiling in Silicon Valley
A new campaign spearheaded by Reverend Jesse Jackson's PUSH coalition has sent letters to "iconic" tech firms -- including Apple, Facebook, HP, Google and others -- aimed at raising awareness of the lack of racial diversity at the top tiers of management. There are, Jackson notes in the letter, no African-Americans currently sitting on the boards of any Silicon Valley firms, and very few women or minorities reach the upper executive ranks.
Andrew Bocking exits BlackBerry in latest executive change
The Executive Vice President in control of BBM at BlackBerry has left the company. The reasons behind the high-level departure of Andrew Bocking from the company are unclear, with some debate as to whether he was fired from his position by management at the phone manufacturer, or if he left on his own accord to a new opportunity at another company.
App Tamer 2.0 adds new UI, ability to limit apps to certain amount of CPU
St. Clair Software's App Tamer has had its second version released, offering a new user interface and additional features. App Tamer controls the amount of CPU allocation applications can access on one's Mac computer, with an 'AutoStop' function that stops an application when the user switches away from directly using it, and then restarting it when it is revisited. App Tamer v2.0 features a revamped user interface, visualizing all functions directly on the menubar. The App Tamer icon displays current CPU usage and task management upon being clicked, and hovering over an app reveals its CPU usage in a graphical format.
CFO Budulka replaced by SVP Yersh, CMO and COO yet to be replaced
BlackBerry has made another set of executive-level changes, with three more members of management being pushed out from their positions. The reorganization, which sees the loss of the CFO, COO, and CMO at the phone manufacturer, comes three weeks after previous CEO Thorsten Heins was let go and replaced by interim CEO John Chen.
Blueprint for OS X free until November 10
Blueprint, a business organizational app, has launched -- offering users an integrative project organizer that can sync with Apple's native apps. Blueprint features the ability to manage projects and track their progress using milestones, and link items together to get a full overview of a contact or project. Task management, note creation, and calendars are included, and imported files and folders can be managed with a drag-and-drop function. Currently available for free from the App Store until November 10, full pricing will be $60. System requirements for Blueprint are OS X 10.7.3 or later, and at least 2GB of RAM.
Six-month search for replacement Intel chief begins for board
It has been announced that Intel CEO Paul Otellini will be retiring from the chip manufacturer in May 2013. He will be moving on from his eight-year term as the fifth CEO in the company's 45-year history into the role of an adviser to Intel's management team, continuing his almost 40-year association with the manufacturer.
Builds on Valentina DB database, server
Paradigma Software is debuting a new line-up of Valentina data management and database products for Mac, Windows and Linux. The flagship product is now Valentina Studio Pro 5, which adds Postgre support and incorporates the formerly separate Valentina Studio Admin. In addition, the product supports ENUM types, journaling and more.
Browser-based visual management tool
DataStax, which specializes in commercial tools to deploy and work with the open-source Apache Cassandra database management system (DBM), has updated its own browser-based visual management and monitoring system for Cassandra's linear-scalable P2P post-relational database system and introduced its first version of the Mac after polling its users and discovering demand for a Mac version.
Facebook, Google, others top list
Management consulting firm Bain & Company was named the top company in the world to work for in Glassdoor.com's annual ranking of some 65,000 firms, with frequent top pick Facebook coming in at number three (a fall of two places from last year). Apple leapt ten spots in this year's ratings to capture the 10th place spot, with other tech firms such as Careerbuilder.com and Google also in the top 10.
Aids in font license policing, management, more
As noted last month, Extensis has now officially upgraded its Universal Type Server font server software to v3, which enables companies to control font usage and enforce font licensing, adds support for Adobe InCopy, introduces "failover" support in case access to the primary Universal Type Server is lost, bolsters auto-activation within Adobe CS products and even helps uses find new fonts or other fonts similar to the ones they are using, among other features.
Ver5 can remote wipe Macs, iOS devices, more
FileWave has launched version 5 of its self-named app for managing and deploying software. Geared toward IT specialists, the software allows IT pros to control both software and hardware in multi-platform businesses. Version 5 adds iOS app management -- they are calling it Mobile Device management, or MDM -- in the same management console used for controlling Mac and Windows clients. The console supports simple drag and drops to create and adjust profiles. An intelligent Downloader is new -- it gives file-level control of existing client software without the need to redeploy it.
Dashboard feature gives better business overview
Computech has loosed a new version of its business management software, releasing BusinessMan 3.0 today. The software handles most aspects of a business, from its resource planning with CRM capabilities to estimating and invoicing to resource scheduling. Version 3 adds a Project Management module, supporting drag-and-drop Gantt charts and task, job and resource allocation. Also new is a module for Bill of Materials, which tracks assemblies from inventory to completion.
Version 1.4 ships iOS 4.3 ready
iOS business integration software TARMAC 1.4 has been launched by equinux today, adding new MDM support for iPhones and iPads. The software sets up iOS devices to function in a business, distributes settings over the air, personalizes profiles and provides access to data on the network. The new version supports MDM -- Mobile Device Management -- commands, giving IT managers centralized control over iOS devices on their network. Once registered, MDM-profiled iOS devices provide info like the operators' name, the available space on the device, the iOS version, security settings and other metadata. Push updates are available via MDM for changing or updating -- in the background -- device settings, profiles, web links and security settings.
Update gets IP-address-based smart grouping
FileWave has launched FileWave 4.1, updating its software deployment and management suite. FileWave allows IT personnel to control software and hardware in multiple-platform environments, adding or removing software from certain machines or groups of computers and keeping inventories of what software is on which machines. It can create customized install packages and apply patches or updates as needed, from a central location.
Gant charts upgraded in v8 with dependency support
Oranged Software has launched Studiometry 8, updating its business management software. Studiometry handles contact management, builds estimates, tracks work and bills clients. The software has an easy interface for daily data entry. It can track work time through timesheets, running timers and manual entry. There is also a companion iOS app with full syncing capability.
Auditing improvements, financial dashboards in v2
Computech has updated its business contact management and sales tracking software, BusinessMan 2. The software tracks and manages customer information, sales, vendors, suppliers, products, marketing, and even human resources. BusinessMan is both a customer-relationship manager, keeping all customer documentation in a FileMaker database, and an enterprise resource planner with scheduling, communication tracking, call handling and financial tracking capabilities. It also provides an integrated e-mail client and invoice modules.
New filtering options to help manage listings
Iwascoding has launched a new version of its eBay listing utility, GarageSale 6.0. The software allows users to create eBay auctions from their desktop, with over 140 free listing designs to choose from. The latest version has been completely rewritten to utilize Apple’s CoreData technology, while supporting 64-bit operation on Macs. Synchronization has been improved, along with batch editing features that enable controls in the inspector window to be simultaneously applied to all selected templates.
New version exports smart account data to QIF, CSV
Jumsoft has launched an update to its budgeting software, Money. The financial management and budgeting tool allows users to track transactions across bank accounts and trading accounts. Users can make budget plans and monitor results. The utility can track portfolios, graphing quote history and variations of major world indices or a portfolio's market value. It can also schedule transactions, create invoices and generate income and expense reports.
BusinessMan offers menu-driven module system
Computech has launched new software utilities for business management, BusinessMan Pro and BusinessMan Enterprise. The software is built on FileMaker Pro and offers a customer-relationship management system, with menu-driven modules for prospects, customer management, quotations, invoicing, suppliers and stock. It features an integrated e-mail client and a resource scheduler. BusinessMan Enterprise adds modules for sales order processing, sales ledgers, marketing, purchase order processing, purchase ledgers, document management and HR management.
Batch file management, file-splitting tool added
Frameline has launched a major update to its MPEG7 video logging and media management software for Mac, Frameline 47 v3.2. It is designed to manage video files, scan drives for videos, extract metadata, and build an SQL database. Frameline 47 also edits and annotates files, while providing a capture interface and allowing users to work within a network-based system for editing and cataloging.
iFinance for iPhone syncs with Mac
Synium Software has unveiled an update to its financial management software, iFinance 3.1, along with a complementary app for the iPhone and iPod touch. The desktop utility integrates a new database manager with improved performance, password protection, and a reconcile feature for comparing billing with debiting. The software enables users to create multiple databases, separating personal content from company business.
Studiometry 7 update ships
Oranged has released Studiometry 7, upgrading the business management software with new tools for project planning, estimate creation and more. Project stages allow users to track progress from beginning to end, with automated alerts and to-dos shown at important points. The new estimates feature includes a creation wizard that supports itemizing and provides numerous templates.
Merlin software updates
ProjectsWizards has released an update to its Merlin project management application for both the iPhone/iPod touch and Mac, along with a new version of its Merlin Server bringing it to 2.7. The upgrade to Merlin 2.7 allows users to share projects with the iPhone and iPod touch and adds support for the Merlin Server. By enabling the three applications to work together users can access and share their Merlin projects from any iPhone, Mac, or supported web browser.
CardScan Executive for Mac
CardScan on Monday unveiled the CardScan Executive for Mac, a set which includes a business card scanner, coupled with contact management and synchronization software. The scanner itself is capable of reading 20 color cards per minute, while the software is able to take information from the scanner, email signatures, files, and more. CardScan Executive for Mac is available at select Apple Stores, Apple's website, and a number of retailers for $260.
Canto Cumulus 7.6 update
Canto has announced the release of Cumulus 7.6, the latest update of its digital asset management software. This version features built-in rendering of PDF files- thumbnails and previews can be generated on any operating system or web browser without Acrobat. PowerPoint capabilities have also been improved, allowing presentations to be produced on a web browser, without PowerPoint installed, and stored on portable drives.
iCal manager improved
Second Gear has announced Today 1.3, an update to its iCal task- and events-manager. The v1.3 update focuses on management of tasks in iCal. Tasks are now available over multiple days in v1.3 and new task-sorting options have been added. Today 1.3 costs $15 and requires Max OS X 10.5 and higher. A 10-day trial is available. Today offers a quick-view window, tracking an iCal user's daily events. It works with iCal open or closed, and its window can be toggled to disappear and reappear with a single keystroke.
- RiftVault 1.0 ($40) 256-bit AES encryption keeps credit card numbers secure, documents safe, and secrets confidential. Designed exclusively for Mac OS X Leopard. The new release includes major improvements to the UI, has a full feature set and include ssignificant stability and security improvements [Download - form]
- VectorDesigner 1.4 ($70) application for vector drawings, diagrams and illustrations, raster image handling, filtering and color correction. This release introduces user definable templates: a template can contain all the elements that are available in a standard VectorDesigner document, such as paper size, units, rulers positions, layers etc. [Download - 4.9MB]
- SMTPit Pro 4.1.0 ($65) FileMaker plug-in that provides a vast array of email options. You can send simple text based messages or you can send complex HTML messages. You can send a single message or an entire mail out. Its functionality is flexible enough to cover many email tasks. The new release fixes issues dealing with Files and Folders that contained forward and backward slashes and issues on Mac where the plug-in couldn't deal with files on mounted volumes in certain circumstances. [Download - form]
- Merlin 2.6 ($225) project management software designed exclusively for the Mac. With Merlin 2.6, you will be able to publish your project file over the web either as a live HTML document so you can collaborate with other users over the web or as a static HTML page that you can share with the team. This feature opens the door for all users who wish to use Merlin but can't because they are tied to an operating system other than Mac OS X. [Download - 37MB]
CatDV 7.0 upgrade
Square Box Systems has announced CatDV 7.0, a major update of its suite of video logging and media asset management software. The new upgrade simplifies the user interface and offers improved sequence editing. Version 7.0 adds a static playhead, support for multi-track editing, and a new Match Frame command. Square Box adds visual improvements, including a new "pro-look" color scheme, and has updated the movie controller, showing timecode event markers. The new version adds automated Targa and DPX handling and support for QuickTime high-resolution audio export with constant pitch playback. It improves support for locating media files and tracking duplicates. CatDV 7.0 requires 1GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.3 or higher, QuickTime 7.0 or higher and Java 1.4.2 or later. It is available now for $340 (pro version) and $90 (standard version).
Canoto Cumulus updates
Canto has released version 7.5.4 of its Cumulus digital-asset management platform and promised that version 7.6 would be available soon. The 7.5.4 update addresses an issue that affected users of Cumulus Backup Manager and also increases the performance of Cumulus Servers running 64-bit Linux environments, and offers reliability enhancements for customers using central asset locations or providing previews of Office documents. Cumulus 7.5.4 is a free update for registered users of Cumulus 7.5. New customers must contact the company for price-quotes on Cumulus.
- RAGE SERank 1.7 ($60) Mac OS X search engine rank checker for website owners to track and monitor their search engine rankings. RAGE SERank will monitor search engine rankings for any number of keywords and display changes in a website's search engine rankings over any point in time. RAGE SERank 1.7 now lets you check up to 1000 search results so you can easily see if you are making improvements in your search engine rankings, even if you have not made it to the first 10 pages of search results yet. It also adds speed optimization options to the RAGE SERank database so you can make sure you are always operating at peak performance. [Download - 13.2MB]
- Today 1.2 ($15) a event and task management application for Mac OS X. Today shows you all the events and tasks that are stored in Apple's iCal in a small, easily navigable window. Today 1.0.1 is a maintenance release that addresses several minor issues reported users who downloaded the application since launch last week. This release adds the ability to double-click on an event or task to open it in iCal. [Download - 1.2MB]
- Fetch Art 2.0 (free) tool for adding cover art to your iTunes library. Useful if you've ripped your own music or don't have an iTunes Store account. The new release has fixes for compatibility with Amazon's new ECS 4.0 web service and improvements in accuracy logic in searching for art. It also removed dependency on Perl which should improve compatibility with future Mac OS X updates.[Download - 717KB]
- PDFpen 3.4.2 ($50) PDF editing and form-filling tool for Mac OS X. The update offers improved handling of font widths for fonts used frequently in optical character recognition (OCR), as well as a number of bug fixes. All the new features of PDFpen 3.4.2 have also been added to PDFpenPro 3.4.2, the Pro version that has the ability to create fillable PDF forms in addition to all the features of PDFpen. [Download - 5.3MB]
- Mailings 1.9.37 ($25) application for batch emailing that delivers any web page or plain text document with attachments to multiple recipients for marketing, news announcements, product updates etc. Mailings facilitates the task of delivering regular bulk email distributions with such features as logging, progress monitoring, scheduling, error recovery, throttling, personalization and much more. [Download - 4.8MB]
Bookends 10.3 released
Sonny Software this week announced the launch of Bookends 10.3, the latest update to its fully featured bibliography and reference management software for Mac OS X. Aimed at students, academics and professionals, Bookends is a quick and easy to use application designed to obtain, locate, reference or annotate text, as well as create extensive bibliographies. The software features an easy-to-use interface, well-structured preview screens, and integration with essential applications such as 'Google Scholar' and Microsoft Word v.X and 2004 editions.
Slife 2.0 unveiled
Slife Labs has debuted Slife 2.0, the latest evolution of of its time and activity management software for Mac OS X. Released in conjunction with Slife Teams, a subscription-based collaborative web service, the Slife software package provides a solid platform for 'time-based' workers such as designers and consultants to keep track of productivity, eliminating reliance on time-sheets or spreadsheet applications.
GarageSale 5 adds reports
Iwascoding on Thursday unveiled GarageSale 5 at the eBay Live! Conference in Chicago, offering users several enhanced features and increased functionality, and also introduced two new apps. GarageSale 5 offers Bonjour-enabled auction template sharing for easy importing over a network, as well as a report generator, to create income and expense reports. YouTube integration is also included for simplified video embedding. GaragesSale 5 is available for $35, and is free for users of v4.x.
- Timepost 2.3.2 ($50) a reliable web-integrated time management system for Mac OS X. Timepost is a full-featured time tracking solution that integrates with internet project management services. Can post time to Basecamp, Blinksale, Cashboard, FreshBooks, FogBugz, and Tick. Not only is Timepost a simple project timer, but a powerful extension to your existing web service. The new release adds menubar timer access. [Download - 1.1MB]
- Modul8 2.5.5 (300 Euros) Mac OS X based real time, live performance video compositing software. The incremental update brings several interface enhancements, numerous bug fixes and added 'keyword' functions in its python scripting based module system. The update is free for all registered users and can be accessed using the in software update command. [Download - 20.9MB]
- iCalamus 1.13 ($130) multi-lingual, frame-oriented desktop publishing solution for Mac OS X. iCalamus offers an easy approach to DTP, and an excellent choice for creating simple posters, to complex magazines, scientific works and book publishing. Among the many new improvements and bug fixes, version 1.13 can now import iPhoto documents as calendars, as well as printing Photographerbook documents externally. [Download - 25.6MB]
- iWisdom 1.7 ($10) desktop program that will help you manage and maintain a list of quotations and insightful ideas. In this release, categorization of quotations is now much more powerful. Multiple separate categories may now be assigned to the same quotation, and the ability to define multiple levels per category has been preserved. [Download - 3.3MB]
- Label Wizard 1.0.0 ($30) lets you create your own custom sheets of labels. You have complete control over the layout of the label. Each object can be precisely position. Serial numbers are a special case, they will be automatically incremented on each label. So you can easily print out a sheet of labels, each with a unique serial number. [Download - 3MB]
Universal Type Server
Extensis has announced availability of Universal Type Server, its next generation server-based font management solution. Shipping on June 18, 2008, Universal is client/server solution that manages fonts and font metadata such as licenses, classifications, foundries and keywords. Using granular and role-based permissions, Universal Type Server manages font licenses and compliancy by ensuring that users have access to only the fonts they are licensed to use, and that rogue fonts cannot be added to the system. It also makes use of automatic font classification and font family grouping, dynamic smart sets and shared sets.
- ProjectForum 6.1 ($80) a wiki-based software application that supports collaboration within and between professional workgroups. Version 6.1 introduces a new "mail to wiki" feature, and improves support for outgoing email notifications. This version also includes many smaller enhancements and bug fixes. CourseForum 6.1, a version of the ProjectForum application targeted for online learning applications, was also released. [Download - 2.4MB]
- MacBreakZ 4.8 ($30) Personal Ergonomic Assistant designed tpromote healthy and productive computer use by reminding the user ttake a break. Based on your actual keyboard and mouse use and the time you have spent in front of the screen, MacBreakZ suggests rest and microbreaks at appropriate intervals. The new release adds Apple Help Book format documentation for mobile users. Previous versions relied exclusively on online documentation. [Download - 5.2MB]
- Agenda 4.0.2 ($40) an application that keeps track of your events and tasks, lets you enter your thoughts, and easily create calendar or journal websites. This update makes further improvements and fixes to the iCal import feature based on user feedback. [Download - 4.4MB]
- Today 1.0.1 ($15) a event and task management application for Mac OS X. Today shows you all the events and tasks that are stored in Apple's iCal in a small, easily navigable window. Today 1.0.1 is a maintenance release that addresses several minor issues reported users who downloaded the application since launch last week. Today 1.0.1 also adds the ability to create new tasks without a due date. [Download - 1.2MB]
- Vox 1.2 ($40) provides natural-sounding voices for multiple languages that work with virtually any Speech Manager compliant Mac OS X application. This release adds a pronunciation editor that allows users to add abbreviations or change the pronunciation of words. It also introduces a number of new voices and languages: Eliska and Sabrine for Czech, Ania for Polish, Snorri for Icelandic, Sanna for Finnish, Elin for Swedish, and Baris and Ceren for Turkish. The Czech, Polish, Icelandic and Turkish voices require Mac OS X 10.5. The other voices require 10.3.9 or later. [Download - form]
Agenda, Magic Dice
Yenco.com has updated two of its flagship products, Agenda and Magic Dice. Agenda is a calendaring and event/take management tool. The new release, version 4.0, features multiple calendar view, repeating events, task management, a reminder application, journal editor, built-in iEvents to create calendar or journal websites, quick searching, monthly scenes, multiple window sizes, iCal import and export, and more. For a limited time users who purchase Agenda 4 will get a free Magic Dice registration code. The tool is priced at $40. Registered Agenda 3 and iEvents 2 users can also enter their existing code into the registration window for a discount.
- WireTap Studio 1.0.6 ($70) audio recording and management solution. Record the discrete audio output of any application, as well as all Mac system audio, or record audio input from any microphone, line-in, or audio input hardware. The new release includes these enhancements: fixed fade-ins; fixed a crash when loading a waveform that was previously partially loaded; fixed some problems with effects and mono output formats. [Download - 25.6MB]
- MimMac 1.9 ($10) updates the cloning, backup, and file synchronization utility. Version 1.9 adds full Leopard compatibility, as well as many internal changes to retain Tiger and Panther support. MimMac is a Universal Binary application, and requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later. [Download - 1MB]
- MassTransit 5.1.1 enterprise file transfer tool. The new version includes nearly two dozen new features. It also has nearly 30 bug fixes. This version now writes details about the DBMS to the MassTransit log to make it easier to provide information to Group Logic Technical support. It also contains a new feature whereby the MassTransit Engine can be configured, using the debugLog.cfg file, to log MySQL settings and status variables to syslog. [Download - form]
- DiscLabel 5.2 ($36) CD/DVD label design software for Mac OS X. It can import track lists from iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, Finder, and Toast; import images from iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD and Finder; multiple layers, drawing tools and gradients for creating custom
designs; use more than 1300 clip art files via the DiscLabel Clip Art Browser and more. The update features improvements to image importing,
including support for iPhoto Events and faster image library loading.
Printing designs has been made easier, with simplified initial access
to printing setup and a new media search capability. [Download - 12.6MB]
- Cumulus 7.5.3 digital asset management system. Improves performance and reliability. Canto recommends all customers upgrade to Cumulus 7.5.3, regardless of operating system, to benefit from global fixes and improvements. Customers on active service agreements can download the update free of charge. [Download - form]
Parallels Server beta 3
Parallels Server Beta 3 has been released, adding an integrated toolset that includes Parallels Tools, Parallels Image Tool and Parallels Transporter (a P2V and V2V migration tool) to the hypervisor solution for server virtualization. Parallels Server includes support for Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT-x) hardware acceleration technologies, 32- and 64-bit platform and guest OS support, and 4-way guest SMP and multi-core CPU support. The new release also adds open APIs and SDK for extensible management, allowing third party tools vendors to add support for Parallels Server. Also new is a command line interface (CLI), and scripting (including Python) allowing automation of common server tasks from the command line.
DEVONtechnologies has released Desktop Transporter 2.6 a new version of its remote maintenance and management solution for users who administrate multiple Macs across a network. The new release shows constantly updated thumbnails of all shared desktops on the local network. The update frequency can be adjusted and the list of shared desktops filtered. Desktop Transporter 2.6 also uses server-side scaling and clipping for reducing network load and for increasing responsiveness. Keychain support makes it unnecessary to remember all the passwords for the shared machines. Desktop Transporter 2.6 requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 later and a fast LAN and/or Internet connection is strongly recommended. It is immediately available and is priced at $30.
BVS remote monitoring
Berkeley Varitronics Systems today unveiled remote management software for the Yellowjacket 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi Analyzer receiver. BVS calls the software Remote Manager, which creates comprehensive Excel- and PDF-formatted data reports for various time periods to provide a temporal overview of any 802.11x wireless network, as well as suspicious 2.4 or 5Ghz sources of interference. BVS is selling Remote Manager for $1150, and is available directly from the company.
Surgient virtual lab
Surgient today unveiled a new version to its virtual lab management software, introducing a number of features that add to its support of heterogeneous and mixed lab environments. Version 5.4 adds compliancy with VMware ESX 3.5 systems, and Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, as well as the integration of SOAP and command line interfaces into the SDK. Licenses for Surgients product lifecycle systems start at $15,000.
GGT Enterprises has announced the release of ReceiptWallet 2.0, an upgrade to the company's receipt and document management application for Mac OS X. This release adds new features for cataloging non-receipt documents, an updated interface, support for on-the-road document scanning via Apple's iSight camera and the ability to organize documents into multiple libraries that can be tracked separately. With ReceiptWallet, paper receipts and documents can be scanned from any TWAIN-compatible scanner. Web or email-based receipts can be saved as PDF files from any Mac application and automatically sent to ReceiptWallet using the Print command. In addition, ReceiptWallet has support for the popular Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner.
Creative Manager Pro
Creative Manager Pro today announced a forthcoming update to its self-titled ad agency management software. The major foundation upgrade to Creative Manager Pro offers more Flash features, and includes changes for the latest release of Mac OS X Leopard. Previous updates converted some of the most-used features to Flash, while the new update addresses interface improvements based on months of research, client interviews, and user feedback. The update is due in April, according to the company (pricing was unavailable).
- Live Interior 1.5 ($80) lets users design house, office, apartment, and other interiors with realistic 3D walk-throughs. Live Interior 3D 1.5 update adds lamp creating functionality. Now you can compose and edit various lamps using Light Source Editor, insert and adjust different types of light sources in any objects including imported ones. [Download - 49.4MB]
- MBS REALbasic plug-ins 8.1 ($270) a collection of several plug-in parts which extend the REALbasic development environment with over 900 classes and 2 controls featuring over 17000 documented functions. This release adds: new ThreadMBS class for crossplatform preemptive threads in REALbasic; MutexMBS class to work with the ThreadMBS class; IKImageEditPanelMBS class to use the image edit panel from Apple. [Download - 80.4MB]
- PasswordWallet 4.3.3 ($10) password management application. PasswordWallet for iPhone gives you access to your passwords on your iPhone: ninternet connection or hacks required. And it's all secured with 448-bit BlowFish. Version 4.3.3 adds localizations for French and Japanese. Also included is the "Synchronize Files" Automator Action that is Leopard compatible; smoothed import from Splash ID; explicit Read Only warnings if your data is read from a read-only disk or permissions are askew; other improvements. [Download - 2.4MB]
- KeyCue 4.1 ($30) keyboard shortcut cheat sheet. This release adds two high-contrast large-font themes to make KeyCue even more helpful for visually impaired users. The new version also offers an automatic update checking system, which ensures timely access to updates for future versions. KeyCue 4.1 requires Mac OS X 10.4 or newer and is compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). [Download - 922KB]
- Power Manager 3.7.1 ($30) helps schools, businesses, and homes save energy by automating their Macs. Power Manager 3.7.2 includes an improved Quick Schedule interface, tweaked icons for Mac OS X 10.5's menu bar gradient, and a bug fix for rescheduled events. It also fixes a critical bug that could cause events to be skipped. This bug potentially occurred when delaying or altering an event. [Download - 1.7MB]