Company issues 'high priority alert' to support staff help unclog queues
In the first test of how well Apple's servers may be able to hand the rush of new iPhone activations that will be coming on Friday, a reliable source has reported that the company is struggling to keep services running smoothly in light of a large number of iOS 7 downloads. The process requires re-activations of devices as they first begin running the new operating system, putting stress on the servers and causing periodic issues with activation or downloading the new update. In addition, it is possible that some pre-order customers may already be receiving iPhone 5c units.
1,600 individual servers can fit in a standard rack
HP today unveiled the world’s first commercially-available Moonshot system, which the company claims uses up to 89 percent less energy, occupies 80 percent less space, and costs 77 percent less compared to traditional X86 servers with the same processing power. The 4.3-unit high system is tailored for "social, cloud, mobile, and big-data" uses.
New processors up to 24-percent more efficient than predecessor
AMD has launched its new line of Opteron processors for servers. The Opteron 6300 Series have a claimed performance up to 24-percent higher than the Opteron 6200 processors that it replaces, and by using AMD's new Piledriver core, aims to lower the consumption of power, leading to cooler and cheaper servers.
Part of three-product announcement
Drive manufacturer Toshiba has launched three new series of 2.5-inch SSDs. The PX02AM series is intended for the consumer market. Performance and capacity are primary in the PX02SM line, with one drive reaching 1.6TB. Entry level servers are boosted with the PX03AN series using a new fabrication technique.
AMD acquires an Intel's micro-server partner
AMD has launched what it calls its ‘disruptive server strategy’ by acquiring SeaMicro, a maker of micro-servers that up until now had been built using Intel’s Sandy Bridge or Atom processors. AMD said that it paid $344 miillion for SeaMicro as it looks to accelerate its push into the cloud server market as a component, and now hardware supplier. The move will be a setback for Intel as SeaMicro’s server designs were flexible enough to accommodate up to 786 Atom processors in one server.
ARM server in Dell lab for 'over a year'
Speaking at an event in San Francisco, Forrest Norrod, general manager for Dell’s server solutions group hinted at the possiblity that an ARM-based server could be on the horizon. Norrod said Dell has had ARM systems in their lab "over a year," and said adding ARM processors to its lineup might be attractive to customers that with concerns about power consumption. He pointed out that Dell's lifecycle management system is independent of the CPU and fully capable of incorporating ARM processors.
Dropbox accused of using deceptive trade practices
Dropbox has had a complaint (PDF) filed against it with the FTC by a well-known security researcher. The cloud-based file storage site, which recently clocked up 25 million users, is alleged to be falsely advertising the security of its services. The allegation comes against the backdrop of the Sony PSN data breach fiasco that exposed the personal information of over 77 million users, the result of apparently lax security. Since Sony’s woes emerged, along with privacy concerns with Google and Apple, many have questioned the integrity of the masses of personal information stored on data servers around the world.
Category to get four new processors
Intel has announced plans to expand its range of low-power processors with several new chips designed for the 'micro server' segment. The emerging category is said to be geared for configurations that can benefit from dense arrays of low-power servers, rather than fewer numbers of more powerful servers. The new offerings will range from 45 watts down to below 10 watts of power consumption.
Two Mac minis in a 1U server unit, adds front USB
Sonnet Technologies has produced a solution for users who wish to rack-mount up to two 2010 edition Mac minis (server edition), whimsically called the MacRackRackMac Minimini. The unit manages airflow, and adds a front-panel power switch and USB port for each of the two units for easy operation in a 1U server space.
Series set to arrive in November
Netgear has expanded its ReadyNAS line of home media servers, with the introduction of the Ultra 2 and Ultra Plus series. The Ultra Plus lineup is claimed to deliver 30 percent faster performance when compared to the Ultra series. The servers support TiVo DVR integration, along with Orb transcoding for various screen sizes and remote streaming to mobile devices.
Enterprise interface is now standard
SYPECom has launched Collaba 9.0, a new version of its online web application that provides a variety of communication and collaboration tools, such as multimedia chat, an address book, and a bookmarks organizer. Users can also access both public and private forums, or customize a forum using the integrated permissions system. With the latest release dozens of improvements and bug fixes have been added, including a new “Day View” within the calendar, and pre-configuration support for Mozilla SeaMonkey.
Parallels Server for Mac brings new features
Parallels on Wednesday introduced Server for Mac Bare Metal Edition, a new virtualization utility for Apple's Xserve. The software builds upon Parallels Server for Mac, initially launched in 2008, but with a new architecture that is claimed to provide the first "bare metal" hypervisor for Intel-based servers. The updated utility is said to offer improved performance, while allowing systems to be migrated without going completely offline.
Synology Disk Station 2.2
Synology America has released the beta version of Disk Station Manager 2.2. The firmware is used in unison with its storage server hardware to manage and access NAS servers over the network and the Internet. The latest version adds support of iSCSI and SNLA devices. The update also includes support for Apple's Time Machine backups, providing the ability to backup desktop data to their Disk Stations. The beta includes a built-in firewall function that users can decide which service or IP address will be allowed to access Disk Station. The firewall also blocks uninvited connections.
Edouard beta 3 ships
The first public beta version of Edouard has been released by Flying Pig. Edouard beta 3 attempts to minimize the need for human intervention in corporate systems, by managing and coordinating a company's resources using shared servers. Areas covered by Edouard include sales, purchases, production, stocks, contacts, statistics and accountancy.
Nehalem-EX chipsets soon
The next generation of Xeon server processors will be introduced on May 26th, according to an early Intel announcement. The Nehalem-EX series is based on the same platform as Intel's Core i7 chips, but is explicitly intended for high-end server use. Each processor incorporates eight cores, and can be used in multi-socket configurations. New power gates are said to reduce energy consumption, and 16 threads can be calculated simultaneously.
Japanese developer FreeBit has released an English version of ServersMan, a free application which converts iPhones and iPod touches into web servers. The software operates over both 3G and Wi-Fi connections, and allows people to connect via WebDAV or a regular web browser. Files hosted on a server can be accessed remotely, but are protected using SSL encryption.
NT4E-STD Ethernet adapter
Napatech has unveiled the latest in its line of four-port, gigabit Ethernet network adapters for PCI Express, the NT4E-STD. Created as an enhanced PCIe version of the company’s XF adapter for PCI-X, the device is used for data capture and processing and the delivery of network data traffic to a host system. The adapter offers support for four Ethernet ports using either electrical or optical gigabit interfaces, as well as complete RMON1 standard support that enables the full offload of statistics collection from host CPUs.
HP updates home servers
HP is prepping a software update for its MediaSmart home servers, adding video conversion and video streaming to iPhones. The free update works only with the recently introduced MediaSmart EX485 and EX487. A free app will be available through iTunes to support video streaming to the iPhone and iPod Touch.
Nehalem Xserves launch
Validating recent leaks, Apple has released two new Xserve models. The servers are sized to fit a 1U rack, and have been upgraded to Intel's Nehalem platform, which Apple claims can produce up to an 89 percent improvement in terms of performance per watt. The base model uses a single, 2.26GHz quad-core Xeon CPU, while the upper tier adds a second Xeon and allows scaling clock speed up to 2.93GHz.
Xserves along with 10.5.7?
The new Nehalem-based Xserves may launch in tandem with Mac OS X 10.5.7, investigation reveals. The evidence is said to lay within the most recent developer seed of v10.5.7, which contains an extension file called AppleTyMCEDriver. Inside is a machine identifier listed as "Xserve3,1;" the same identifier appears in a Nehalem-specific error message, which also mentions the most recent Mac Pro.
Nehalem Xserves soon?
Apple will introduce an updated line of Xserves within the next few weeks, connected sources are said to claim. The servers, designed for 1U rackmounts, are also said to be based on Intel's Nehalem platform, specifically the Xeon 3500 and 5500 processors originally introduced with the latest Mac Pro. Should they mirror configurations of current Xserves, the new ones are predicted to be divided into single-processor 2.66, 2.93 and 3.2GHz models, alongside 2.26, 2.66, 2.8 and 2.93GHz dual-processor options.
G4, Xserve support dies
Apple is ending most or all of its support for a host of older Macs, according to a memo issued to Apple Authorized Service Providers this week. Headlining the bulletin is a range of "obsolete" products, which Apple classifies as hardware that was discontinued over seven years ago; these include the PowerBook G4, and digital audio or Quicksilver models of the PowerMac G4 and Macintosh Server G4. As of March 17th, no support of any kind will be available for the obsolete systems, including replacement parts.
InDesign CS4 Server ships
Adobe has begun shipping InDesign CS4 Server, the companion software for its flagship publishing program. Server is meant to automate publishing tasks in larger corporate environments, and in its CS4 incarnation has been enhanced with IDML (InDesign Markup Language) support, which uses XML tools to assemble or disassemble InDesign documents without launching an INDD file.
REAL Server 2009 in Feb.
REAL Software, the producer of the REALbasic development platform, has announced plans to release updated server software in February. REAL Server 2009 is said to have been overhauled with an event-based asynchronous architecture, and now uses Multi-Version Concurrency Control, which is said to improve both concurrency and scalability. The latter aspect has been improved throughout the program, in theory allowing over 10,000 concurrent connections.
FL: HP MediaSmart Server
Many people own multiple computers, such as a notebook and a desktop, or a a Mac and a PC. The problem with multiple systems is backing up data from all of them -- while backing up a single computer is easy with an external hard drive, buying separate disks for several computers can become cumbersome and expensive. In the corporate world, businesses can back up multiple machines to a single server; HP’s MediaSmart Server makes this option available at a reasonable cost to individuals, as well as small businesses.
HP ex485, ex487 servers
HP has announced the existence of two new server products, the ex485 and ex487 MediaSmart Servers. Unlike most such systems, the new ones are intended for home use, and are thus based on Microsoft's Windows Home Server technology. Each allows for the backup and storage of various media files on a home network, such as music and video, along with more general file types a user might need to access. A MediaSmart can also be used to share content online or via LAN.
Download Station enhanced
QNAP has announced its QGet Utillity for Mac users. QGet offers enhancements to QNAP's Turbo NAS Download Station; the Download Station supports BitTorrent, FTP and HTTP downloading, and QGet allows Mac users to access and remotely manage tasks on QNAP NAS servers, over LAN connections or the Internet. QGet for Mac 1.0.0 works with Mac OS X 10.4 and above, and requires the QNAP Pro Turbo NAS TS-509.
Web Help Desk 9.0
MacDesign Studio has released Web Help Desk 9.0, the latest update to its cross-platform support tool. The company says it added a number of user-requested features, including plug-in support for third party asset management tools, an Ajax-enhanced user interface and rules-based voting and approval for change requests. The product includes installers for Mac OS X Server as well as WIndows, Linux and Unix servers.
10K, 2.5-inch 300GB
Western Digital on Thursday announced its enterprise-class 10,000RPM 2.5-inch drive designed for rack-mounted servers. The 10K VelociRaptor is designed for blade servers and 1U and 2U rack servers, and offers up to 300GB of capacity, while consuming 35 percent less power than the previous-generation WD Raptor drive, the company claims. WD said that the drive will be manufactured for high reliability in high duty cycle environments, resulting in the highest available reliability rating of any SATA drive at 1.4 million hours MTBF. It features a 3Gb/sec SATA interface and 16MB for maximum performance.
Kerio MailServer: iPhone
Kerio says it has added wireless iPhone "push" compatability to its MailServer software, and the company says small businesses have been eager to embrace the iPhone 3G. In an interview with MacNN, Dusan Vitek, VP of Worldwide Marketing for Kerio Technologies, said he's seeing strong demand for iPhone support from typical customers in small to medium-sized companies.
- Tidy Up! 1.4.3 ($30) search for duplicate files and packages; by the owner application, content, type, creator, extension, date modified, date created, name, label, visibility and more. You can also search by the tag, duration and bit rate of MP3s and AACs audio files, search the content of the iTunes, iPod and iPhoto databases, search the messages of Mail and synchronize deletions with iTunes, iPhoto and Mail. The new release a bug that in a very rare case crashed the application at start up,. It also fixes a bug that in certain circumstances failed to find all Mail e-mail messages and resolves some cosmetic issues. [Download - 8.4MB]
- TimeCache 7.0.12 ($30) time and expense billing application. It offers tracking of all computer activity, can use Apple Address Book entries for client contact information, can produce charts of billable time and expenses, and can import from and export tiCal calendars. Version 7.0.12 fixes a newly discovered bug that could prevent some reports and invoices from being edited and/or printed successfully. It also includes a new feature that improves support for workgroups. [Download - 14.8MB]
- Testbench 1.1 (free) developer utility for exploring Quartz event taps on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and newer. Developers can use it to explore what their applications can do with Quartz event taps on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). It is also a useful tool to test drivers for hardware input devices such as trackballs and tablets, to test virtual software input devices including assistive applications for persons with disabilities, and to test remote control software. Testbench 1.1 contains many new features and improvements, including full support for tablet proximity and pointer events. [Download - 1.2MB]
- ChordMate 1.3 ($15-$40) digital chord book. Organize chords by their musical quality, ease of play, or fret. This release has the ability to Copy/Paste Chord Diagrams: you can create chord charts, mail interesting chord voicings to your friends, and annotate your favorite songs; Capo: You can tell ChordMate to place a capo on any fret and Alternate Tunings: Players who do not use the standard EADGBE tuning can tune ChordMate to match their guitar. You can now build chord progressions inside ChordMate. There is a chord progression window, and you can just drag and drop chords into it. You can also play the entire chord progression[Download - 476KB]
- Cocktail 4.1.3 (Leopard Edition) ($15) general purpose utility for Mac OS X. This release adds adds multi-user cache clearing, updated Automator actions as well as many various fixes, optimizations and improvements. Cocktail 4.0 (Tiger Edition) is distributed as a Universal Binary and runs natively on both PowerPC and Intel Macs. Cocktail 4.0 (Tiger Edition) requires Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server 10.4 - 10.4.11 and is tested for compatibility with Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server 10.4.11.[Download - 2.6MB]
Universal Type Server
Longstanding Mac software developer Extensis this week began shipping Universal Type Server, its new centralized font management solution. Released in 2 versions, 'Lite' for teams of up to 10 people, and 'Pro' for 10 users or more, Universal Type Server is a direct evolution of Extensis's Suitcase and Font Reserve Server product lines. Sporting a modern intuitive UI, Universal Type Server acts as a repository for all fonts across a whole workgroup, listing them in a single centralized library. When a font is needed, a user 'activates' a font and assigns it to a project, ensuring there are no font conflicts and complete font consistency across all users who work on the project.
4D Server v11 SQL unveiled
4D Inc on Tuesday debuted 4D Server v11 SQL, bringing native SQL support to its established server product line. Now a Universal Binary application, the latest version of 4D Server boasts increased processing speed, capacity and power as well as new features, functionality and improved administration tools."4D v11 SQL represents over three years of dedicated development, resulting in a complete transformation of the core of 4D...The release of v11 SQL marks the completion of our transition, bringing more power and speed to the creators and users of today's business applications," President and founder of 4D, Laurent Ribardière commented.
Graph Paper Maker
- Logo Design Studio Pro 1.8 ($60) logo design software brings together a full vector editor with pre-designed conceptual logo templates and objects. The new update to Logo Design Studio Pro now includes increased support for SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files; over 1300 pre-designed SVG objects that anyone can fully edit; a new browser that allows you to preview each SVG object in a variety of categories, and the latest version of the Sparkle framework.
- Composer FX Movie 1.7.6 ($20) video effects processor application with over 400 special effects filters. Harnesses the power of Mac OS X 10.5’s Quartz Composer for adding visual effects to your movies. Acts as a companion program for iMovie 08. Composer FX Movies includes: Comic Book, Hearts, 3D Video Wall, Plasma, Glass, Sky, Aquarium, Snow, TV, Pencil and many more. [Download - 14.2MB]
- Graph Paper Maker 2.0 ($20) lets you create your own custom sheets of graph paper. It is ideal for students, teachers, engineers, scientists, researchers, businessmen, and others who need to create specialized sheets of graph paper.
The latest release of Graph Paper Maker adds options to create custom sheets of Cornell Notes paper, as well as custom designed grids of dots and crosses. [Download - 1.4MB]
- Text Up and Text Up Pro (free-30 Euros) TextUp is free. It creates subtitles which build up from the bottom of the screen as you type in a way which is needed for standard subtitling. It also features 'Outline', 'Drop Shadow' and 'Box'. It's a easy to use 'one stop' generator for most of the subtitling issues. TextUp Pro additionally includes 'Line wrapping' which will fit the text automatically into a given title safe area. So copy/paste text from a script or using an external application to import titles (like our TitleExchange) will make the workflow even easier. TextUp Pro also adds vertical alignment options, you get 'TextCenter' and 'TextDown' as well.[Download - 1MB]
Psystar, known mainly for its controversial Mac clone, says it has begun shipping two new servers, both of which have the option of pre-installing Mac OS X Leopard Server. Apple's licensing terms require Leopard to be installed on official hardware; Psystar's OpenServs, however, are unsanctioned and also compatible with server software such as Window Server and Ubuntu.
Exhibia 1.2 video server
Plyxim has upated its QuickTime-based scheduling software for closed-circuit broadcasting systems. Exibia 1.2 Server allows users from multiple platforms to use their web browsers to upload content to a central server. Version 1.2 includes a "major overhaul" to Exibia's web client interface. Exibia supports iCal and LDAP integration, and works with third-party plug-ins including Flip4Mac, Perian and Divx.
Parallels Server for Mac
Parellels on Tuesday formally announced the availability of Parallels Server for Mac, software that the company claims to be the first server-level virtualization tool for Intel-based Macs. Parallels Server offers the company's hypervisor-based virtualization techniques for Macs running Mac OS X Leopard Server, and can serve a multitude of Leopard Server-, Windows- and Linux-based virtual machines. Parallels Server is currently available from the company's website for $1000.
- Resourcery 1.0 ($12) makes it possible to access all of your resources for all of your projects from one integrated window. It has a focused set of features designed to make it a project resource management solution that is simple to use with virtually no learning curve involved. Open it up and start using it right away to manage your projects and their resources. Add project items (information, reminders, tasks, etc.) to your projects. Attach any number of files, folders, applications, web links, and email addresses to any project and any item within a project. Keep notes on projects and each of their items. [Download - 5.1MB]
- EmailCampaign 1.0.2 ($100) email marketing software with no subscription fees. Version 1.0.2 fixes a Leopard related bug in the Bounce Handler that would
not extract bounces from a server, the Clipboard, a text file, Apple Mail,
Entourage and Power Mail. Sending your campaign to a large contact list will
almost always give you some bounces (returned mail) based on full mailboxes,
delivery timeouts and other reasons.
- Pandora 2.3 ($30) media collector's web spider and search agent for Mac OS X. Version 2.3 introduces support for a wide range of international text encodings in the pages in reads, giving users the ability to travel the world in their search for web-based media files. Pandora can simultaneously perform as many tasks as it's given. Multiple sessions can, at the same time, be performing searches, URL scrapes, or even running through folders on your hard drive, via "Open..." in the "File" menu. [Download - 2.1MB]
- Dragoman 1.1 ($40) a universal batch file converter for Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard. Designed to improve productivity and efficiency, Dragoman allows users to convert images, photos, music files and archive files with a drag and drop interface. On popular demand the new release adds support for raw digital camera formats of Canon, Kodak, Sony, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji cameras, as well as for Adobe's Digital Negative and Photo CD format. [Download - 19.3MB]
- Tidy Up! 1.4.2 ($30) search for duplicate files and packages; by the owner application, content, type, creator, extension, date modified, date created, name, label, visibility and more. You can also search by the tag, duration and bit rate of MP3s and AACs audifiles, search the content of the iTunes, iPod and iPhotdatabases, search the messages of Mail and synchronize deletions with iTunes, iPhotand Mail. The new release adds compatibility with compatibility with iTunes 7.6.2, iPhoto 7.1.3 and other applications. [Download - 8.4MB]
Universal Type Server
Extensis has announced availability of Universal Type Server, its next generation server-based font management solution. Shipping on June 18, 2008, Universal is client/server solution that manages fonts and font metadata such as licenses, classifications, foundries and keywords. Using granular and role-based permissions, Universal Type Server manages font licenses and compliancy by ensuring that users have access to only the fonts they are licensed to use, and that rogue fonts cannot be added to the system. It also makes use of automatic font classification and font family grouping, dynamic smart sets and shared sets.
CrushFTP 4.8 update
CrushFTP 4.8 was unveiled on Friday, providing several new features and bug fixes, including a few interface optimizations. The CrushUploader file browser has been refined, and can handle forms on multiple batches. CrushSQL users are able to request their password through email, and the "freespace" tag shows available drive space on a given volume. CrushFTP 4.8 is available starting at $30 for 10 concurrent users, with licenses available for up to unlimited users.
Apple digital home inroads
Five years from now, Apple will have made significant strides in its consumer product strategy, expanding its digital home offerings to include products and services to connect PCs and digital content to the HDTV-stereo audio-visual infrastructure in consumers' homes, according to Forrestor Research. CNET reports that the research note predicts a bridging of the "AV/IT divide [...] for video, music, and photos in most homes." The report also speculates that Mac OS X will likely be sprinkled throughout the home, and predicts the introduction of a home server product that would act as the digital hub to push video streams, music, and photos throughout the home. Other potential products include an "AppleSound universal music controller" that could serve many purposes: a standalone iPod, a music and video controller, via dedicated home stereo amplifiers.
- DiskLibrary 1.8 ($40) media cataloging application for Mac OS X. DiskLibrary catalogs not just your complete file structure, it also creates thumbnails, and stores metadata, for most popular media formats. DiskLibrary is capable of importing export formats from CDFinder, FileFinder, WhereIsIt, DiskCatalogMaker X and DiskTracker. [Download - 2.5MB]
- ActivePerl 126.96.36.1993 (free) ActivePerl includes core Perl, popular modules, the Perl Package Manager (PPM), and complete documentation. With over 250,000 downloads each month, ActivePerl remains the industry-standard for Perl development. ActivePerl is provided free to the community and is available as a supported and OEM product to enterprises globally. [Download - form]
- AddMovie 1.4.9 (donationware) tool for combining multiple movies or images into a single movie and batch exporting movies to any format supported by QuickTime. When combining movies you have the option of creating movie chapters with customizable titles. Other functionality includes: extracting audio tracks to files, splitting movies, setting movie poster frames and saving movie frames as images. [Download - 1.5MB]
- MenuMinder 1.4 ($10) Create quick, simple alert, email and SMS Text Message (mobile phone) reminders using the system-wide menu that can be accessed from any application. This new version eliminates the requirement that an email account be setup in Apple Mail. Using the new preference pane "Mail Server" users can specify any mail server for delivering email reminders. Version 1.4 also provides improved SMS messaging and global hot keys for creating reminders even more quickly. [Download - 1.1MB]
- RailModeller 3.1 ($40) solution for creating layouts for model railroads and slot cars on Macs. More than 180 libraries are included providing tracks and accessories from virtually any manufacturer of model railroad tracks, allowing the user tstart planning their model railroad empire right away. The latest update to version 3.1 delivers RailModeller as a Universal Binary and features various enhancements requested by customers. [Download - 6.8MB]
Monetra 7.0 server update
Main Street Softworks this week released Monetra 7.0, a payment server software that securely processes credit card, debit card, gift card, and electronic benefit card transactions for retail point-of-sale and eCommerce systems. It is capable of scaling from operation on custom embedded devices to fully redundant clustered server installations processing thousands of transactions per minute, transforming how payment systems are deployed, secured and managed.
Dell offers AMD quad-cores
AMD's long-overdue quad-core Opteron processor is now offered in five Dell servers, the chipmaker announced on Thursday. Dell is offering AMD's quad-core Opteron chips in its PowerEdge SC1435, 2970, M605, 6950 and T605 servers, all of which are available on the company's website now and, together with offerings from Hewlett Packard, bring the total number of models utilizing the chip to 13.
- Speed Download 5.0.2 ($25) download manager designed to be a unified hub for almost all downloading and file transfer activities. This release fixes the following issues: Transparency in the floater retained after SD restarts; SD no longer prompts about a component update after each restart; SD remembers changes to the toolbar visibility after each restart; a bug that could potentially cause SD to crash after completing a download. The new release has also updated SD Enhancer for better performance and compatibility. [Download - 7.7MB]
- Interarchy 9.0.1 ($60) Download/upload tool for FTP, FTP/SSH, FTP/SSL-TLS, HTTP, HTTPs, WebDAV, WebDAVs, iDisk and Amazon S3. Includes Growl Support and transparent File Encoding with File Converters. This release adds a brand new protocol built upon SSH, numerous enhancements to the product's interface and more. [Download - 6.6MB]
- MMRegEx 0.5.0 Beta 2 ($35) a FileMaker Pro 7+ plug-in that brings the power of Regular Expressions to your calculations. With this plug-in, you can perform searches and replacements on text using "patterns" instead of "literal" text. For example, you could use the search pattern "gr[ae]y to search for any instance of "gray" or "grey" in a text field. This is the first official release of this plug-in to the public. [Download - 3MB]
- FmPro Script Diff 1.15 ($100) stand-alone utility which compares, edits, searches and stores FileMaker ScriptMaker scripts - external to the FileMaker database. FmPro Script Diff 1.15 is an updated version fixing a screen redraw issue on MacOS X Leopard (10.5). This maintenance release also fixes an issue with the display of sorted Diff Results. [Download - 4.1MB]
- FTPit Pro 2.0.0 Beta 2 ($65) a FileMaker Pro 7+ plug-in that uses FTP to transfer files to and from your computer. It is compatible with Mac OS X 10.3.9+ and any version of Windows that FileMaker Pro 7+ runs on. Use it to upload static web pages to a website, upload database backups to a offsite server, download database upgrades from a centralized server, or write a complete FTP client within FileMaker Pro itself. [Download - 3.9MB]
GizMac adds air filtration
GizMac Accessories on Thursday said it is now shipping the smaller capacities of XRackPro server racks with air filtration. The 4U and 6U models of XRackPro2 server racks, made of heavy duty steel construction and a sealed glass front door, now feature an air filtration system in addition to reducing noise: the air filtration provides cleaner air into the server rack enclosure and ultimately into computer and other electronic equipment located inside, GizMac noted. The controlled airflow of the XRackPro2 server rack aids cooling, improves noise reduction and allows for an air filtering system to function.
Parallels Server beta 3
Parallels Server Beta 3 has been released, adding an integrated toolset that includes Parallels Tools, Parallels Image Tool and Parallels Transporter (a P2V and V2V migration tool) to the hypervisor solution for server virtualization. Parallels Server includes support for Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT-x) hardware acceleration technologies, 32- and 64-bit platform and guest OS support, and 4-way guest SMP and multi-core CPU support. The new release also adds open APIs and SDK for extensible management, allowing third party tools vendors to add support for Parallels Server. Also new is a command line interface (CLI), and scripting (including Python) allowing automation of common server tasks from the command line.
iPhone video stream server
A London-based web technology firm has developed a server-based video streaming technology, capable of sending video feeds to factory-condition iPhones. Guardian.co.uk reports that the server technology – called Millicent by developer Best Before – would allow broadcasters to provide edited video feeds for the iPhone, and allegedly already has two UK broadcasters interested in what the architecture can offer.
Thursby Software Systems has released updates for its Mac networking products ADmitMac and DAVE. ADmitMac is a tool that provides a solution for connecting Macs to Windows networks that allegedly provides improved networking stability over that of Apple's standard Leopard offering along with complete Active Directory support. The new release includes enhanced deployment tool and completely rewritten Dfs module, which is smaller and faster than the previous version. The deployment tool allows ADmitMac to be installed on multiple systems within the network from a single workstation. The newly enhanced Dfs module supports Microsoft's Distributed File System that allows shared folders to reside on multiple servers for load balancing and data redundancy.
- ImageWell 3.5 ($20) image editor for everyday simple editing and quickly sending images, screenshots, and other files tother users over the Internet. The tool includes upload support for Flickr, SmugMug and ImageShack, and is free. This latest release is Version 3.5, Build 327 and includes a new sharpness filter, two new shapes, the ability to double-click History items and open them in a browser, and fixes for bugs associated with Leopard. This is a free update to registered users. [Download - 964KB]
- PostgreSQL 8.3.1 Open Source project that leverages the Open Source PostgreSQL server and works to integrate the popular database engine into the Mac platform in as native a fashion as possible. This not only includes the creation of tools that are native to the Mac platform, but also the integration of Mac specific technologies like Automator, and publishing platform native toolkits like the PGSQLKit framework for Cocoa. The project is hosted, administered and developed by Druware Software Designs. [Download - 1.8MB]
- Avernum 5 1.0.4 ($28) enormous, epic fantasy role-playing adventure. "Wander a gigantic world, full of multitudes of characters, hundreds of side quests, and traps, tricks, and treasure in every corner. Take the part of a soldier for the all-powerful Empire, hunting for the foul assassin that struck down your Empress." The new update fixes a few errors that caused rare but irritating problems. [Download - 25.9MB]
- Cyndicate 1.2 ($30) RSS/Atom aggregator and content management application for Mac OS X. Enhancements in this release include: Performance has been greatly improved for some scenarios; Twitter support for sharing articles; Video enclosures can now be set to download separately from other enclosures; Feeds can now be set to never be checked; Fixed parsing feeds with use the Latin1 encoding and contain accented characters; Various bug fixes. [Download - 7.9MB]
- RapidWeaver 3.6.4 ($50) website creation application for Mac OS X. This release sees numerous improvements to the application including a significantly enhanced exporting process, along with a number of other minor fixes designed to improve the handling of QuickTime movies and images. In addition to feature fixes, the new version also offers preliminary support for the new Simplified Chinese localization. [Download - 24.6MB]