Markdown editor makes rich text writing, blog content, or HTML text easy
Byword ($12 for Mac, $6 for iOS, but currently on sale for $10 and $3, respectively) is a straightforward text editor designed specifically for writing either plain (or rich) text or in Markdown, a style specifically designed for blog writers (or anyone who needs to provide text content with HTML tags for emphasis or embedded images, lists and so forth. It's available for both iOS and OS X, and uses iCloud (or Dropbox if you prefer) to sync documents seamlessly between devices with continual auto-save.
iPhone Developer Training
In brief: Mariner Software has announced a new social networking site that allows writers to post their own work or read and comment on material from other users. MacNN has recently taken a look at a device that holds an iPhone or iPod touch on a desk. The Just Mobile Xtand is stylized to complement the design of the iMac and Cinema Display, while holding the device in either the portrait or landscape orientation. Intrinsic Development Corp. has announced that it will offer another iPhone developer training course, as its previous series received a strong response.
PDF Shrink, viJournal
SERank 1.9 ($60) can monitor search engine rankings for any number of keywords and display the changes of a sites rankings over time. Users can track search engine rankings in over 50 different search engines world time and can graph changes in their personal sites ranking over time. The application can also create customized PDF reports reports for clients. Version 1.9 can now export data to CSV or tab delimited files for use with Excel or Numbers and can also customize reports by setting table column widths. [Download - 14.4MB]
Storyist 1.4 released
Storyist Software has updated its flagship story development application to include a host of features requested by users. Designed for novelists and screenwriters, Storyist 1.4 now includes a formatting inspector window, the ability to read and write in additional formats -- including Microsoft Word, Open Office and FInal Draft -- and improved import and export functions. New text tools automate tedious routine functions such as search-and-replace, changing font styles reformatting text.
F. Look: NovaMind Platinum
Writing a script for a movie, TV show or the stage isnít easy. While there are plenty of scriptwriting programs that format text automatically, few of these help you to think creatively about your story in the first place. To handle both sides of the equation, you may need to use a screenwriting module like the one in NovaMind Platinum.
Storyist novel/script app
Storyist has released the first version of its self-titled writing software, designed solely for Macs. The program is meant to aid in the creation of novels and screenplays, and in addition to a standard word processor, it includes a component called the Storyboard. This maps out a story using virtual index cards, which are in turn posted on a digital corkboard. Through the latter, writers can pick scenes to edit and rearrange them at will.
iPhone writing recognition
ModMyiFone.com forum members have discovered a new utility for jailbroken iPhones which allows for handwriting recognition using a small grey area. The beta software can recognize both Latin and Chinese characters at the moment, transcribing finger motions into editable text on a yellow notepad-style document. User poetic_folly notes that installing HWPen requires the user to add iphonecake.com/src/all as the installer source.
Apple seeks engineer
Apple has posted the availability of a Handwriting Recognition Engineer position, citing the need for a dedicated employee for its Mac OS X handwriting recognition technology. According to MacRumors.com, the individual would be responsible for enhancing the existing product, as well as extending the technology's influence to "other Applications and the iPhone," suggesting Apple is trying to recapture the feel of its Newton handheld platform.
Multitouch device, methods
The US Patent and Trademark office today published five of Apple's patents, describing versatile multi-touch input device and control methods in a wide array of fields. The device appears to be an ergonomic multi-touch keyboard-style device that can accept a wide array of touch commands, including typing, resting, pointing, scrolling, 3D manipulation, and handwriting. The patents involve actions that are simple for the user to know and remember, while the system has little difficulty differentiating between the actions.
- Montage 1.3 ($140) tool to create, edit, and manage screenplays on a
Macintosh. The new release adds Leopard support, the ability to export Montage scripts to Final Draft (.fdr), the ability to export Montage scripts to .sex format for interfacing with production scheduling applications like Gorilla, EP Scheduling and CompanyMOVE and localized support for French, Italian, German, and Spanish. [Download - form]
- FlightCheck Pro 6.1 ($500) preflighting solution for desktop publishing apps. FlightCheck v6.10 comprises numerous improvements and updates, including enhanced preflighting speed--up to four times faster than previous versions. The solution now recognizes QuarkXPress 7 files, and appropriately reports on font paths. In addition, improvements have been made to the software's PDF Ground Controls. And a new "Get More" button found in the Ground Controls pop-up menu, enables users to immediately access and download pre-defined Ground Controls based on output intentions and file specifications. [Download - form]
- MultitaskingAssistant 1.0.2 ($58) personal information manager (PIM) type of software that functions as a personal organizer of task specific information at the point of interruption. The MultitaskingAssistant's purpose is to facilitate in the recording, tracking, and management of personal information at the point the user gets interrupted during a task. A task, by definition, needs to be accomplished within a defined period of time, tasks get interrupted all the time, and multitasking is a necessity in today's busy world. The MultitaskingAssistant will always have the right information in the right place, in the right form, and of sufficient completeness and quality to quickly bring the user back up to speed on any of there interrupted tasks. [Download - 560K]
- miXscope 3.2.3 ($10) miXscope enables microscope and video camera users to take snapshots, create time-lapse movies, stop motion movies, or image sequences of the world around them. miXscope users can also add time stamps, text comments, image overlays, make measurements, add special effects, and/or draw on the live view images. This release improves the image quality for 60x and 200x magnification settings for the newer Digital Blue QX5 USB microscopes.[Download - 1.1MB]
- message2net 1.2.4 ($25) a universal binary application for SMS- and phonebook management. The new version is ready to work with Leopard and fixes some minor bugs. message2net allows to send, receive and manage SMS-messages on a Mac OS X computer using a connected mobile phone and supports advanced features like multipart-SMS, group-SMS and direct Address Book and SIM card access. [Download - 2.4MB]